[Fixed] Server crashing, random players with 15k ping.

Devious

Since a few days some of the players are getting 15k ping on good networks,

when there are more than 12 players online this can cause a server crash where players are being set back to the last save position with the ship still at the last visited location.

The server freezes and when it becomes too bad it just stalls without the possibility to close the server correctly.

Kicking players with pings above 500ms really helps but I can't be there 24/7 to check that.

The players do seem to get an error about being forced on TCP, in console I get a similar error.

This is what happens before the server crashes, I have forwarded all ports on TCP and UDP so that shouldn't be the problem..

Tue Jan 31 17:21:29 2017| Connection to player established
Tue Jan 31 17:22:32 2017| Server UDP: Error receiving from 197.245.116.80, error: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it, received bytes: 0

Client side here!

Encountered such problem on the Rusty server

And they seem to have ports opend up

Tue Jan 31 20:32:37 2017| Client: attempting to connect to 78.31.67.88:27000
Tue Jan 31 20:32:37 2017| Client UDP: Error receiving from 127.0.0.1, error: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host, received bytes: 0
Tue Jan 31 20:32:37 2017| Client UDP: Error receiving from 127.0.0.1, error: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host, received bytes: 0
Tue Jan 31 20:32:37 2017| UDP closed
[code]

That's a common debug code not yet removed from log files. There working on server stability. Seems like if you have to many players on a server it cant handle it and just goes crazy. Its cause by people who are in sectors that have bugged ships or something like that. I recommend keeping population under 10 for good stability until he updates more.

That's a common debug code not yet removed from log files. There working on server stability. Seems like if you have to many players on a server it cant handle it and just goes crazy. Its cause by people who are in sectors that have bugged ships or something like that. I recommend keeping population under 10 for good stability until he updates more.

I experience this under 10 players!

The problem related to players with high ping seemed to be that steam authentication wasn't enabled,

but that didn't help much with the crashes either.

Looks like only way to fix it is a clean install, will try that.

Edit;

Made a fresh install and everything seems to run a lot smoother now, guess all those crashes corrupted some data :(