How to mod the music in Avorion

Thundercraft

I just wanted to share my findings in trying to mod the music in Avorion.

It's really easy: Just make sure that the music you want to add is in .ogg format and put it in the appropriate folder. Since most music is .mp3, you'd probably need to either use a software program to convert them, or find a website that will do an online conversion for free. (Try searching for "mp3 ogg batch online convert".)

Myself, I used the free Audacity audio program because it allowed me fine control of quality and file size. (I used a quality setting of "4", which is good enough for me. But "5" may be slightly better.)

But doing it that way was tedious. There are sites and programs that can batch convert dozens of songs at the same time, which is obviously much faster.

Background (ambient) music is located here:

{Steam folder} \steamapps\common\Avorion\data\music\background

Action (combat) music is located here:

{Steam folder} \steamapps\common\Avorion\data\music\action

Don't get me wrong: I love Avorion's music! However, there are only 8 background tracks and only 8 action tracks. After a while, they can start to sound a little repetitive. So, I wanted to add more.

In case anyone else would find this useful, here are the tracks in X2: The Threat that fit a background / ambient theme:

00012.mp3

00014.mp3

00015.mp3

00016.mp3

00019.mp3

00020.mp3

00021.mp3

00022.mp3

00023.mp3

00024.mp3

00025.mp3

00026.mp3

00027.mp3

00028.mp3

00029.mp3

00030.mp3

00031.mp3

00032.mp3

00033.mp3

00034.mp3

00035.mp3

00036.mp3

00037.mp3

00038.mp3

00039.mp3

00040.mp3

06015.mp3

06031.mp3

06032.mp3

06033.mp3

06153.mp3

And here are the X2 tracks that fit an action / combat theme:

01001.mp3

01002.mp3

01003.mp3

01004.mp3

01005.mp3

IMO, another game with music that sounds rather reminiscent of Avorion's is Eve Online.

• Like 1

So you tested it and it randomly selects the tracks? So you can add 100 songs in and they will work overtime? I tried finding scripting reference to any of the audio but never really found any within the current scripts.

I thought be cool to call a special song up during a scripted event or something. I might not be looking for it correctly though.

Update: Some music plays great in-game, while others... don't.

After converting a bunch of songs, I found out that some of these come out sounding incredibly noisy and scratchy in-game - like ear-bleeding WTF noisy. It's like the sound amplitude is somehow being processed by the game's sound engine as if it was extremely clipped, when in actuality it's not.

I'm not sure what the cause or common denominator to this issue is. But it may have something to do with the software I used, the settings I used, or maybe how I normalized the .mp3's with MP3Gain before converting them.

The X2: The Threat files I converted sound just fine, though.

So you tested it and it randomly selects the tracks? So you can add 100 songs in and they will work overtime?

Yes. And yes.

• 1 month later...

Batch normalizing can seriously affect your files if you use the wrong settings, most software has options to do all tracks at once.

This is generally not what you want since it will take either all audio and find an average volume level or it just takes the first one and applies the same boost to the rest. This is useful for tracks on a well-produced album, not for a random collection of mp3's since they are all mastered differently, not to mention the loss of sample rate compared to lossless audio.

If you want to use mp3's without losing quality in such conversions I wouldn't use mp3 at all, definately not below 320 kb/s, but that's just my audiophilic opinion and am very spoiled with having most of my audio in a lossless format :)

• 6 years later...