Turret Looting Rework

koonschi

Suggestion

• Boxelware Team

So, I was thinking of reworking the way turrets / turret looting works.

When you see this system for the first time, it is confusing. That's why I want to change it.

As of now, when you collect a turret, you have the plans of this turret, and one turret of this kind (the small number in the building menu). When you collect the same turret again, this number is increased, when you use a turret of this kind on your ship, the number is decreased. When I initially thought of this system, I was thinking of later features, like collecting/creating plans of turrets and then ordering this kind of turret at weapon factories.

But the current state of the game is developing in another direction: The usual RPG style, you find a weapon and then you use it. This is not what I had in mind at first, but I kinda like it, too. The problem is, that, combined with the old system, it is confusing. Especially the part where turrets are greyed out when you no longer have any of them. (But the turret template is still visible.)

So, my suggestion for the new way of how turret looting might work would be the following:

You loot the turrets just as always, but you don't have templates of them any longer. You simply loot the thing, and then you can use it, if you lose it, your bad. No more turrets of a kind -> The plans are gone. You wouldn't be able to build more of this one turret. (in current versions, you can't anyway, so this would not affect players directly. However, in later versions, something like this would have been planned.)

Now, I still want that feature where you can have a turret template and then just mass produce that one turret. Note that this will only occur in later versions. So, in the future, you would not acquire the turret plans automatically by simply looting a turret, but you would have to fly to, let's say maybe a research station, where you can have a turret analyzed and then you have the plans of the turret.

What I would like to know from you guys, is the following: Which one do you prefer?

• 1. The (rather confusing for beginners) acquire plans-on-pickup version
  • 2. The RPG-Version where you can only find and buy turrets but not research them (this would put a bigger focus on looting & combat)
  • 3. The hybrid version, where you can find/buy turrets, but you have to explicitly research them to get the plans and reproduce them.

6 answers to this suggestion

My Choice is:

3. The hybrid version, where you can find/buy turrets, but you have to explicitly research them to get the plans and reproduce them.

But, if that possible - my choice is number 4!

4. The hybrid version, where you can find/buy turrets, each turret have a modules (as a Ship), and you can build it self! So drop, should be a turret or their part. You can research turret parts and build you own turret from that parts. (Maybe a some new designer, as for ships but for turrets for example).

Example of turret parts:

Control Unit,

Cooling System,

Beam/Cannon/Missle part

EnergyBay(for lasers-cannons)/CargoBay (for missles)

Turret Tracking system (faster turret rotation to target?)

Turret Armor Plating (For improve turret hp)

-----------------------------------

So number 3 is better way, (at current moment). My idea - only for concept, if needed moar customization features. My Generally suggestion - number 3 with large amount of procedure generated blueprints or something as in my concept idea. ::)

That system reminds me of borderlands 2 or fallout new vegas.

It's a cool concept but I personally am not a fan of such a huge customization option. Don't know how many people feel the same as me but I prefer in a game to have a dev who made a few intelligent choices on how the weapons work in the game so I won't get bored instead of throwing me a billion small pieces and let met make my own guns.

I'm not saying it's not an option!

Also I don't think any other space sim (that I've played) had that sort of in-depth customization of weapons...so this could go one of two ways: innovation or complete uselessness. :P

Yeah, maybe you right. For me, for example, more simple system is useful too. Each turret costs some parts (1-2 different types) and - tadaaam! you can build a custom form for you turret  ::) Customizing turret - should be awesome feature. But really, need make it simple & useful

(i wanna turrets, visually more massive, then for a small ships when i put it into my large super-puper ship  ::) )