Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Facing High CPU And RAM Usage While Playing 'Avorion'

Hello there, everyone. First and foremost, I am not a techie. That is why, in order to resolve this problem, I need some good answers from all of you.
I recently installed 'Avorion' from Steam on my Windows 10 PC, but task manager shows that while gaming, both the RAM and CPU usage are at 100%. I'm not sure what's causing this.

Can these steps https://www.thewindowsclub.com/high-disk-memory-usage-when-playing-games assist me in resolving my problem? I'm a little confused because I've never done anything like this before. Please respond on this subject.

My Current PC Setup:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
RAM: 8 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte A320m-S2H
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB
SSD: Crucial BX500 240GB

On 5/2/2022 at 1:49 PM, Vladimir Gerhold said:

Hello there, everyone. First and foremost, I am not a techie. That is why, in order to resolve this problem, I need some good answers from all of you.
I recently installed 'Avorion' from Steam on my Windows 10 PC, but task manager shows that while gaming, both the RAM and CPU usage are at 100%. I'm not sure what's causing this.

Can these steps https://www.thewindowsclub.com/high-disk-memory-usage-when-playing-games assist me in resolving my problem? I'm a little confused because I've never done anything like this before. Please respond on this subject.

My Current PC Setup:

That article is useless, it is like telling someone to go download more ram...
The problem with avorion is that some different things use A LOT of CPU and ram.
Graphic settings all on ultra wil make your CPU run at 100%...
Using a huge fleet with multiple commanders and them controlling the ships and doing tasks.
Using multiple sectors and switching them on a dime, both wil bring the ram usage to 100% no matter what you got.

So long story short, lower your graphic settings until you no longer at cpu 100%.
Then keep in mind not to load 10+ sectors or having 10+ ships doing different tasks at the same moment.

Editor also seems to do some crazy things towards the ram, I always reboot my game after having been in the editor.
Right now If I play with 2 miners and 1 fighter to back them up for when they get attacked.
Running at | CPU 30-40% | Ram 7GB (44%) | GPU 30% |

CPU i5-4690K 3.5 GHz
Ram 16 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB VRam

Like if your pc is being bottlenecked by the ram you can increase overal preformance by adding ram.
But your problem seems to be bottlenecked by something else because 8 GB ram is enough.

Don't you have a video card???
If not, it explains why your cpu is running at 100% always...

Also remember to not have 10.000 window tasks running in the background.

Edited by Desperado

From what I can see on my comp Avorion and the Avorion server each use 1 CPU core and together about 3GB of RAM (may get bigger in later game stages, I am still relativly early.)

The build screen definitely sucks CPU. 

That said, while 8GB seem to be a little small, it should work if you have nothing else running. Did you put your APU to use the maximum amount of RAM in the bios? It might still be set to 512MB. How are your frame rates?

But with just that data nothing can be said. Open your Task Manager, go to processes, sort by CPU and look what you find (or screenshot). 

• 5 months later...
On 5/5/2022 at 8:39 PM, Desperado said:

That article is useless, it is like telling someone to go download more ram...
The problem with avorion is that some different things use A LOT of CPU and ram.
Graphic settings all on ultra wil make your CPU run at 100%...
Using a huge fleet with multiple commanders and them controlling the ships and doing tasks.
Using multiple sectors and switching them on a dime, both wil bring the ram usage to 100% no matter what you got.

So long story short, lower your graphic settings until you no longer at cpu 100%.
Then keep in mind not to load 10+ sectors or having 10+ ships doing different tasks at the same moment.

Editor also seems to do some crazy things towards the ram, I always reboot my game after having been in the editor.
Right now If I play with 2 miners and 1 fighter to back them up for when they get attacked.
Running at | CPU 30-40% | Ram 7GB (44%) | GPU 30% |

CPU i5-4690K 3.5 GHz
Ram 16 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB VRam

Like if your pc is being bottlenecked by the ram you can increase overal preformance by adding ram.
But your problem seems to be bottlenecked by something else because 8 GB ram is enough.

Don't you have a video card???
If not, it explains why your cpu is running at 100% always...

Also remember to not have 10.000 window tasks running in the background.

On 5/2/2022 at 8:49 PM, Vladimir Gerhold said:

Can these steps https://www.thewindowsclub.com/high-disk-memory-usage-when-playing-games-tunnel rush assist me in resolving my problem? I'm a little confused because I've never done anything like this before. Please respond on this subject.

My Current PC Setup:

According to what I can see on my computer, both Avorion and the Avorion server use one CPU core, and combined they require around three gigabytes of RAM (may get bigger in later game stages.)

Edited by Thomas Bolton