QOL-Tendonitis, and Mods that should seriously be considered for core game.

AvorionCraft

Suggestion

Apart from many other QOL's/Suggestions here, I feel one definitely needs its own post.

Click-itus is severe with the base game. It is bad enough that I have to step away not because of time or desire to play, but because of physical fatigue.

There are mods that take care of some of this problem, like "Auto Research" by rinart73 (mod 1731575231) and "Trash Manager" by Chefkoch (mod 1788913474), but they are not base game, and thus on official servers, one must make the death of a thousand clicks just to do research, clean out stash of junk, and so forth.

The sheer magnitude of clicking required when you've got 1000-2000 items in either your stash or your alliance stash or both is intense. Add in the server latency and effectively having to click the same thing twice and its far, far worse.

Trash Mod is simple: Click Material. Click Quality. Click Mark. Go to Scrapyard or Equipment Dock and either scrap or sell.

Auto Research is as simple.

Between servers that use these and servers that don't, my left-button finger feels the difference almost instantly.

Alternatively, make it so that "vanilla Avorion" servers can add these mods for QOL sake without losing vanilla status, as they have zero bearing on gameplay outside of physical fatigue.

Another joy is anything you need to buy.

Torpedoes. There's a mission now for that, but that means you have to let your ship run off into neverneverland outside of your control for X amount of time in order to refill your stocks. What are you doing now as a player? Sitting around, waiting to get your drone shot by pirates. There's a mod called "Torpedo Production" by jakecool (mod 2053583501) that works relatively well outside of getting bugged any time a ship you use any 2.0 map command where it kills all of your production and forces you to re-set every production terminal.

But without that on a vanilla server, what are you doing? Clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick. This is truly unnecessary physical fatigue that could be handled with some QOL updates.

Even a "Buy all" next to the buy button for a specific torpedo would be a solid improvement.

Edited by AvorionCraft
  • Like 4

6 answers to this suggestion

Upvoting because still relevant. A couple of these issues have been fixed/addressed, but many more still remain.

Having to hold down a mouse button (or keyboard key, for that matter) for an extended period of time should be avoided if at all possible. Sometimes it's difficult to avoid, like with ship movement unless you want to switch to cruiser mode which has its own share of issues, but for example mining asteroids is literally hurting the player. They may not notice it right away if they're young, but boy will they feel it when they're older. For those of us born old, we feel the pain immediately.

Auto turrets help somewhat, but they'll take up precious system upgrade slots, and you have to know and find those upgrades in the first place. Maybe consider giving auto capability to at least mining/salvaging turrets. I'm not asking for the tutorial to maybe explain auto turrets in a brief segment, but that would of course be the icing on the cake.

I know I've probably said it a hundred times before, but I still have to click what feels like a hundred times to achieve the one single task of adding one note to one unexplored sector... Right click select sector. "Tag sector", click. Right-click sector again. "Add note", click. Activate text area. click. Optionally select an icon, click. Type your note and finally... click! done, already. Unless you now want to "untag" that sector – click, click, click. Why even require tagging it in the first place? Why not focus and activate the text area automatically, because it's likely the player will want to, you know, add a note...? And why not simply confirm the note with ctrl-enter when you're done?

I regularly add notes to large regions of the map, sometimes ten, twenty or more in a row. Maybe I'm the only one doing this, but maybe I'm not, either way, literally thousands of mouse clicks might be saved by that change alone. Right-click-sector, add-note-click, done.

Edited by Valck
missed a click ; p

Another likely suspect  for repetitive strain injury is the colour selector box. Now that one might take an actual UI designer to improve significantly, but a simple and immediately beneficial change would be the addition of a text search field. Another one might be some kind of bookmarks, similar to the "used colours"-field, but with player defined colours; I often use the same colours over and over again, and especially when building a brand new ship, there are no "used colours" to fall back upon.

"Ctrl-f, search colour name, return" feels like it would be an immense relief for strained tendons, as opposed to having to hold-drag or click-click-click down to the desired colour.

Yeah, Torpedoes should be buyable in bulk ! Arming a big ship with it is a pita, while it should be at least be burger bread 😋 ! I remember if I clicked too fast on the button it would also crash the game if it made it slow down too much from all the client-to-server requests.

Yes. I think the Interface GUI for puting in your Turret Build Designs onto the Turret needs some smoothing, currently its

1>select Turret Base

2>click Turret

3>click Design Mode

4>click Block

5>click show Templates

6>navigate

7>click apply

8>press esc

Instead...

>>>> select Turret Base > pop-up Pallet of Turret Designs next to Inventory of Turrets, select Deign choice > apply

have a button to queue the Pallet of Turret Designs at any time

On 8/2/2023 at 7:33 PM, Reclusiarch said:

Yes. I think the Interface GUI for puting in your Turret Build Designs onto the Turret needs some smoothing, currently its

1>select Turret Base

2>click Turret

3>click Design Mode

4>click Block

5>click show Templates

6>navigate

7>click apply

8>press esc

Instead...

>>>> select Turret Base > pop-up Pallet of Turret Designs next to Inventory of Turrets, select Deign choice > apply

have a button to queue the Pallet of Turret Designs at any time

Allow me to correct you on that.

eyeball--select all turrets you want to change

Click the save icon

Look for the turret you want to place

Apply design

This will apply a turret design to each of the selected turret blocks.

Edited by AvorionCraft