Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Captained ships maintain range

Colonel_Horyse

Suggestion

I am not sure how this would exactly be best to implement, but I have also not seen anyone else mention it. But putting a range that you want your ships to stay at. For example, you and your "fleet" enter a system and you want your ships to engage but not fly too close to their targets, so the ships have a set range of 10k from target, so they can fire at whatever they want hypothetically but not be too close in case of rouge weapons fire from other ally ships. This helps to keep more long range weapons on target than have ships missing because they are point blank, or walking into ally fire.

4 answers to this suggestion

I honestly thought this was going to be part of the captain package.

If my ship's main guns are 20km range, I want that captain to do his best to stay at range to avoid taking hits from an enemy.

If my ship's main guns are 4km range, then that means that ship was specifically built and armed for close quarters suppression/keep them occupied while the big guns hammer them from a distance.

Obviously the ship with the big guns is going to be a little less armored, possibly less shielded. That's what its hull shield (the close quarters ship) is for. Or possible a swarm of smaller dagger range ships too.

On 1/18/2022 at 12:38 PM, MoreChainguns! said:

I think that it would work by the 'Keep Distance' button in Orders having a dropdown where you can select either 'From Closest Enemy', 'Outside Enemy/Self Gun Range', and 'Outside Torpedo Range'.

I like this idea, this is probably more realistic than to have an actual km range.

9 hours ago, AvorionCraft said:

I honestly thought this was going to be part of the captain package.

If my ship's main guns are 20km range, I want that captain to do his best to stay at range to avoid taking hits from an enemy.

If my ship's main guns are 4km range, then that means that ship was specifically built and armed for close quarters suppression/keep them occupied while the big guns hammer them from a distance.

Obviously the ship with the big guns is going to be a little less armored, possibly less shielded. That's what its hull shield (the close quarters ship) is for. Or possible a swarm of smaller dagger range ships too.

That's something I was more or less hoping for, all around I am hoping to make the game take more advantage of the different play styles that weapons provide. Its kind of ironic as I think the AI for the enemy ships already kind of does something similar. More specifically the Xsotan, their fleets send in the close range ships and the long range tend to stick a bit aways. It of course is not perfect but thats probably not their intention. Some pirates also exhibit this behavior.