Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

[Server Hangs] Single player de-sync and more

Paranoyd

As strange as that sounds...

For one, every time I close Avorion, I still have 2 processes running, eating up about 1GB worth of my memory. The first time this happened, I didn't notice until I had massive lag in the game and nothing worked.

Secondly, sometimes everything just... stops. Jump gates don't work. Hyper drives don't work. Nothing works. I get the menus and options, but the game fails to actually do any of it. Then I restart and there's about a 15 minute roll-back... in. single. player.

Third is a newer one for me. I can no longer build my ship. No errors or warnings. I just simply can't place any more blocks on it until I restart the entire game, after I just had to restart it from the above-mentioned glitch.

I should also add that each of these things, especially the last one, are now happening within minutes of starting the game up. In fact, I can't place more than 5 blocks on a ship without having them not register and everything stop working.

I'm not going to give up this easily... yet.

I tested this a bit and found out that my ship may have been causing some and/or all of this issue.

I deleted my ship and flew around a few sectors with just a block, an engine and thrusters. Lasted longer than I had before when I'd essentially crash within the first 5 minutes. I went through some jumpgates with no issues. I let it sit a good 10 minutes with no problem. I did, however notice a huge grinding/loading coming from my hard drive after letting the game sit for another 20 minutes and then I had the same issue of nothing functioning.

This time, it did save my game with my new... "ship" though. And looks like the rollback was only a few minutes old.

• Boxelware Team
I'm not going to give up this easily... yet.

Me neither.

Can you make it so that you can provoke the issue, basically in a way that it always happens, and then send me your galaxy save as a .zip to support@avorion.net? This would make it easier to debug the problem.

I am unsure of what helped but I was just able to get around 5 hours before the server stopped. I will list all of the things I had done so others can hopefully get the same result to make the game playable until this is fixed.

Firstly, I updated using the beta branch on steam. I then disabled my anti virus (AVG).

Then, once in a single player game, I set the priority on both the Avorion and AvorionServer processes to high using task manager.

I then set the affinity of the AvorionServer process to core 3 and core 4 only, and set the affinity of Avorion itself to the other cores (I have a 6 core processor so set to core 0, 1, 2 & 5).

This gave me around 5 hours of un-interrupted play time which should be enough to make this bug less of an issue, especially with the instant saving of the beta update.

I have an 8350x and I was commonly afflicted with this issue on SP. Im not fully convinced this is the result of the same cpu however. I have been running a dedicated server and joining it via LAN. Not sure if there's a difference but it hasn't been happening as often. I can run for still between 5 hours and 20 hours uninterrupted. This is likely because of the recent bug fixes causing AvorionServer to crash less often. The engine is very robust, it doesn't seem to do it with massive battles, huge wreckage fields, etc, but it seems to do it more often when warping into a new sector. Not new as in brand new, it could be a previously visited sector. I'll run SP later and let you know if I see a difference. Usually I find out the server has crashed because the hyperdrive will no longer say route calculated. I only recently learned that the server was dead when this happened, it used to happen very often. I haven't had a server related crash in about 25h

It appears to be possibly to do with the cpu having too many cores, as setting the affinity seemed to fix it, and my super cheap intel atom processor runs without this issue. Is your dedicated server also using an amd fx chip or a different one? This appears to be a similar issue to the one that the turing test had at launch, where the game would freeze on amd systems, that was also improved by locking the affinity of the process

• Boxelware Team

When it's a hang then it's related to multithreading and nearly completely random. Don't lose your mind over how to reproduce it.

There is no way to reliably reproduce it (yet) which is the main reason why I want as many people as possible on the test server, so we can catch it live. The only thing I know so far is that it happens more often when people explore a lot, but that's about it.