Target nearest wreck

LordHavoc

Suggestion

5 answers to this suggestion

Maybe not an essay, but this topic is definitely worth writing more than one or two sentences about. Making it so short implies that this suggestion doesn't seem that important.

This suggestion has been mentioned several times in other threads. However, I think many new players don't realize that the game has a module type to detect Wreckages. Specifically, certain versions or tiers of the C43 Object Detector have this as part of the in-game description:

Detects claimable asteroids and wreckages.

Displays a notification when interesting items were detected.

The problem is, such modules do not seem to work as advertised. It does not seem to give me any sort of notification about wreckages in a system. And it doesn't seem to highlight wreckages, either.

Well... I actually did get such a module to highlight a nearby wreck once and only once. I haven't seen a wreckage become highlighted like that since. This, despite the fact that I regularly find wreckages by visual identification and close to within salvaging distance.

However, I have seen mineral-rich asteroids get highlighted to grab my attention. This happens frequently.

I even insalled a "Scanner Upgrade" module to increase my scanning range. I was able to see asteroids at a further distance. But, still, no new wreckages came up.

This leads me to believe that the wreckage identification portion of Object Detector modules is buggy.

But even if it wasn't buggy, I would still be asking for an easier and more reliable way to find Wreckages.

The object detector is strange. I've noticed when I tried it, that I get the alert "valuable object found", just after I engage hyperspace but before the loading screen. After the new sector loads, the alert is gone...makes it very easy to miss. That being said, it does highlight things like secret stashes for me just fine.

I totally agree, the target next closest thing button is utterly useless in any sector with significant numbers of asteroids or wreckage. The way to fix this is simple, have it so you hold down the button, and it will bring up a menu of boxes to check, allowing you to have it skip over asteroids (With a separate box for asteroids with ore), or wreckage, or whatever, so it's actually useful for finding stuff without skipping through lots of junk, then missing the one thing you wanted, then having to start over again.

...the target next closest thing button is utterly useless in any sector with significant numbers of asteroids or wreckage.

Exactly.

The way to fix this is simple, have it so you hold down the button, and it will bring up a menu of boxes to check, allowing you to have it skip over asteroids (With a separate box for asteroids with ore), or wreckage, or whatever, so it's actually useful for finding stuff without skipping through lots of junk, then missing the one thing you wanted, then having to start over again.

Good suggestion. However, I don't see any legitimate reason why the Next target and Prev target buttons should indicate friends or enemies. We already have Nearest enemy / Prev enemy and Next ally / Prev ally buttons. So why should the Next target and Prev target selection be cluttered up with those?