Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Suggestion: Mining permits

An Ning

Suggestion

You know how if Russia suddenly deployed an oil rig in New York Harbor, the US would get kinda mad?
And how if Italy decided one day to send people to start digging up Athens, Greece would not be happy about it?

Why does no one in the galaxy get upset when an unaffiliated ship -or fleet of ships- shows up in a sector they control and starts sucking all the useful resources from it?

Suggestion: Implement "mining permits" with factions (naturally, you would start the game with "iron" and "titanium" permits for the faction you start in). You pay a faction for a permit to mine materials from their space, and as long as you possess a permit for that faction, you can mine in their space and they won't care (how much they like you impacts what material permits they are willing to sell and how much they cost).

What they would do:
-Mining without a permit would cause the faction that controls the area to become angry with you (so no one cares what you mine in uncontrolled sectors), or causes the ships nearby to extort you (taking resources you have mined in exchange for not calling you out)
-If you do something to lose standing with a faction, you can have permits revoked and lose the rights to mine some or all materials from a faction's controlled space.
-Allying with a faction automatically enables all mining permits to open for that faction
-Declaring war with a faction automatically cancels all permits with a faction
-"mine" commands from the galactic map would have the ship automatically limit harvested materials to its licenses
-telling a pilot to mine an area that they don't have a permit for would result in the pilot reminding you they don't have a permit, and the player deciding whether to "mine anyways" (at an increased risk of attack), or "cancel order" and go somewhere else to mine.
-telling a pilot to mine an area that straddles multiple factions (with imbalanced permits) would result in "reduced yields", as the pilot would be mining only the area they have the most permits for (or, if that is too complex, the pilot just asks you to choose a faction to mine from and you get reduced yields because they mine from a smaller area)

Edited by An Ning
  • Like 1

3 answers to this suggestion

On 9/25/2021 at 1:43 PM, AvorionCraft said:

I would back this suggestion for occupied systems---not systems that are in territory where the faction is not physically present.

The "unoccupied systems" thing was the basis of the "ships try to extort you if they see you" idea.

If no one is there, you can start mining, but if a miner or freighter from that faction shows up and gets close enough to scan, they may message and say, "give me some money and I will go away quietly. Refuse and I call a system patrol"