Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Reimplementation of v1.x Orders

- Cy -

Suggestion

Summary:
I have read and understood the background behind the change of the v1.0 orders and I kindly decline the benefits it brings in favour of having the v1.0 orders back. We have different reasons why we want to have it back, not in exchange for the current map commands but in addition to them! This vote however is not about the background but about the very desire to have it back.

Boxelware cares for our reasons. Write yours in the comments if you want 😃

My reason:
The old orders are kind of the hire an employee for a special task kind of thing that I dont need to remind of their job. The new missions are similar but have differences compared to the old system. A german saying is "The devil lies in the details". To me the old orders simply feel more immersive. It is like a taste that I like more over another so no argument can change my opinion. Currently the new mission require the player to have an eye on each captained ship to collect ressources and restart their missions as the management part of those new missions. Removing the need to restart and collect ressources would not change anything for me.

lets look into a textbased gameplay vs realtime simulation comparisson. In the game command and conquer the harvesters work on their own basicly. Simplified I can tell them to stop harvest or harvest at another location and it is all being simulated. In a textbased game you would give the order "harvest" and receive ressources once the order is completed. The result is the same but the actions are completly different from one another. This is what I imagine when I compare the old orders with the new missions. I know I know saying that the new missions is like a textbased gameplay action is extremly simplified it still is comparable isnt it?

Edit:

Manually changing the game to version 1.3.8 or mods are hardly an alternative. If we choose and older version most new mods will not be supported for it and we will never have the benefits of any other updates made by you. Using mods themselves to get the orders back takes the guarantee of them working properly, we thankfully have a mod as a temporary solution already but some players reported issues with the mod.

Here is a detailed explanation by the developers for the background why the changes happened:

Edited by - Cy -
  • Like 8

15 answers to this suggestion

I wonder: in the event that it's not feasible to reinstate official support to vanilla, is there anything that could be done to make the mod-supported approach feel more reliable? What makes that approach feel too risky?

I'm all for restoring the original commands to the base game if it's not inordinately expensive (taking too much away from other things, like improving economy balance and richness at the moment) and as long as it's added as a freeplay/ini toggle (so server admins can turn it off if it's tanking their servers). And that's from someone quite happy with the 2.0 systems.

4 minutes ago, Nyrin said:

as long as it's added as a freeplay/ini toggle (so server admins can turn it off if it's tanking their servers)

Just to be clear, this is how I've always advocated it being brought back since their first discussions around why they made the change.

5 minutes ago, Nyrin said:

is there anything that could be done to make the mod-supported approach feel more reliable? What makes that approach feel too risky?

To me, what makes it "risky" is the skill level of the modder that takes it on, plus their availability and, for lack of a better word, "longevity" with this game (we all have other lives; sometimes we get busy for a while, or we simply move on to another game).

(I wanted to work on doing a mod for this myself over two weeks ago, but I kept pushing it off cause dealing with UI code gives me headaches, and then about a week ago, now, my work got hit by ransomware.  I've been putting in 16 hr days since and so have had absolutely no time for modding/playing... or doing anything, really.  (I'm typically getting 4 hrs of sleep per day right now, and not always at night....))

Voted.

Just taking away the old system is a bad move, especially for those who don't play large multiplayer servers and thus don't benefit from better performance. I had no problems with lag on the private server I was playing on, nor did I have any in single player.

Furthermore, I don't think I need a big "reason" to want the old order-system back aside from my own preference. I simply liked it how it was, I don't like the current mission system at all and would prefer not to use that.

Please give us the old system back as an option.

Bring the old system back (even if allowing the old orders is optional, so server owners can disable it).  I play single player, and have for over a thousand hours, it would be nice for people like me to have the game back to the fun game it used to be.

Interested to see if this gets any attention but doubtful it gets put back in and personally I can't see it coming back and not just rending the the new method obsolete due to how op it was.

I hope the current method remains top dog if it were implemented again but realistically I'd rather see it stay gone.

There are mods that give what you want why waste time with needless demands and voting. Game development is a business. It is not sound business practice to burn money. 18hrs and this has gotten almost no attention, so yeah unlikely it will get anywhere. Still nice try, why not just look for the CHOICES you have?

• Like 1

Made an account just to upvote this. There really was no reason to not implement the new orders on top of keeping the old ones; it's not just a matter of not liking change because the new orders have been a boon to my more casual friends and I think that's good for them, but not for me. I also don't know why orders aren't remembered while offline anymore. I know they didn't CONTINUE while offline, but my ships at least remembered to patrol sectors, resume mining, etc when I logged in again.

Edited by MimiNuyasaka
  • Like 1

This is 100% something they need to consider, and realistically I think they need a side by side system. 

IF I want a fleet to go accomplish something, then cool I set up the fleet and send them on their way. 

If I just need Miner 1 to go get me some iron I can loop that forever, both work, both are good and both make the game great, but limiting to one or the other is not ideal. 

I think they should bring them back but I don't want the new stuff gone either.