Jump to content

Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

Update 2.0 Out Now!

Update 2.0 now available! Check out the ton of QoL Features, improvements, captains, new commands and reworked UI!
  • 0

"Shuttle Platforms" or "Ferry platforms" placed in maps where a colonized world is present in background


An Ning
 Share

Suggestion

It's a little weird going to a system with NOTHING in it, ad seeing a world with electric lights visible on its night side.

I would suggest that, at the minimum, a station be present when a world with civilization on it is in the background.

These could be a smaller station -a shuttle/ferry platform for people to go from orbit down planetside and vice versa, with not much more than the sector equivalent of a farmer's market and gas station.

 

This would make the background seem less.... random and the galaxy more "lived in".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 answers to this suggestion

Recommended Posts

  • 0
17 hours ago, Valck said:

Well... Earth is a pretty "lived in" area, there are lights all over the globe except a few dictatorships, and yet I doubt that our "space station" would show up as anything more than space debris on the scanners of any Avorion ship ; )

 

Earth also doesn't have interstellar travel.

Any world "colonized" by a space-faring galaxy-spanning empire would have stations present for the colony (and its respective empire) to use.
Seeing worlds with planet-sized cities that have no stations around is a bit immersion-breaking (you might be able to say that the backwater world with a few hundred thousand people trying to get a colony started won't have much in space, but don't tell me that there is a world of 10 billion inhabitants -that have access to power- and they don't have a single shipyard, repair dock, resource platform, or interstellar trade hub)

Edited by An Ning
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
11 hours ago, An Ning said:

 

Earth also doesn't have interstellar travel.

Any world "colonized" by a space-faring galaxy-spanning empire would have stations present for the colony (and its respective empire) to use.
Seeing worlds with planet-sized cities that have no stations around is a bit immersion-breaking (you might be able to say that the backwater world with a few hundred thousand people trying to get a colony started won't have much in space, but don't tell me that there is a world of 10 billion inhabitants -that have access to power- and they don't have a single shipyard, repair dock, resource platform, or interstellar trade hub)

Exactly my point though : )

 

Backwater Earth has close to ten billion people and certainly access to power, and still not a single shipyard, repair dock, resource platform, or interstellar trade hub that I know of.

Just because our cities aren't constructed as geometrically as they are on the Avorion planets doesn't change that fact that there's a bright pattern of illumination all over the planet's face.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
8 hours ago, Valck said:

 

 

Backwater Earth has close to ten billion people and certainly access to power, and still not a single shipyard, repair dock, resource platform, or interstellar trade hub that I know of.

 

"Backwater Earth" doesn't have interstellar travel or inter-galactic trade partners.... and despite having no trade in space it STILL has a space station in orbit the size of a football field.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 hours ago, An Ning said:

"Backwater Earth" doesn't have interstellar travel or inter-galactic trade partners....

...neither does the class of systems you wrote about initially:

On 9/14/2021 at 5:09 PM, An Ning said:

It's a little weird going to a system with NOTHING in it, ad seeing a world with electric lights visible on its night side.

 

And I'm not going to go on about that "space station" – it may have the external dimensions of a football field (what height does a football field have?), but compared with anything in Avorion, it's still nothing more than space junk. Heck, Earth even has two of them and I still wouldn't say that counts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 hours ago, Valck said:

...neither does the class of systems you wrote about initially:

"The class of systems I wrote of initially" definitely DO have interstellar trade and interstellar transport -THEY ARE WORLDS COLONIZED BY INTERSTELLAR CRAFT INSIDE THE FACTION SPACE OF A GALAXY-SPANNING INTERSTELLAR EMPIRE! By definition they have access to interstellar travel and trade!

 

6 hours ago, Valck said:

And I'm not going to go on about that "space station" – it may have the external dimensions of a football field (what height does a football field have?), but compared with anything in Avorion, it's still nothing more than space junk. Heck, Earth even has two of them and I still wouldn't say that counts.

Do you make a living off of irrelevant comparisons and off-topic arguments or something?
The point is that Earth -with no interstellar spacecraft, no advanced knowledge of space-faring, no incredibly advanced culture or society, no interstellar trade, and no part in an interstellar empire, has SOMETHING in its orbit.
Therefore, a planet that HAS those things should LIKEWISE have at least SOMETHING in orbit.
It's one thing if it's a random planet with lights in unclaimed space, but if it's a planet with large enough cities to be seen from orbit, in space patrolled by and passed through with interstellar vehicles, belonging to an interstellar empire, and having access to interstellar trade... there should be SOMETHING in the solar system for access to stated trade and vehicles.

Edited by An Ning
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...