2.0 Suggestion: Remove Auto-Turret Control System (add "computer guided aiming system"?)

An Ning

Suggestion

TLDR:
Problem: Why can my ship only do things on its own when I am not aboard?
Suggested Solution 1: All guns can fire by order, auto-turret systems simply increase damage when auto-firing since auto-turret aim is so crappy
Suggested Solution 2: All guns can fire by order. Auto-turret system removes needing gunners to fire guns, as it makes the process automated.

Main text for those that like reading:

I love having turrets that shoot on their own.
Love it (it especially makes salvaging so much nicer)

But the pain of pre 2.0 remains:

WHY CAN THE TURRETS SHOOT JUST FINE ON THEIR OWN WHEN I AM NOT ON THE SHIP!?
(this is the problem that spurs the suggestion, by the way)

I have gunners on the ship, THEY should fire the guns. Not only SHOULD they do it, but they DO -provided it's not the ship I'm on... which is ANNOYING. And the implementation of "well we can make them shoot on their own, but you need to use upgrade slots to do it if it's the ship you're controlling -BUT EVERY OTHER SHIP IN THE UNIVERSE DOESN'T NEED THIS" makes it more so.

So please (here's the suggestion)
Remove the auto-turret control system upgrades" and just let gunners shoot the guns.

What do the gunners do, exactly, if they cannot fire the guns? I need them, but why? They just sit there until I fire the guns. Why do I have -and need- gunners? Let the gunners shoot. Let the miners mine. I should be able to do what I do with the "auto-turret control system", without that system being present.

Now, if you want to make "auto-firing guns" need a little something extra, add in an upgrade part that increases the damage from auto-firing guns (something that's needed anyways, in my view, as the auto-firing guns have low enough accuracy that they turn a 30 second fight into a 2 minute losing battle)  -ex: a "computer-assisted aim system" upgrade part) that increase damage by 2% (increasing with rarity-and make the effects stackable. Now I have a system that I may WANT to add onto my ship -but don't NEED to add onto my ship just to have it fight as it does without my presence.

Another way to go about it, would be to make the "auto-turret control system", make the turrets ACTUALLY automatic, meaning you have a reduced crew requirement because your guns/mining lasers don't need gunners.

Either of these would, in my opinion, be superior to the system that has been implemented (which is still better than the "independent targeting" weapons from before, by the way, just... still majorly flawed, in my view)

Edited by An Ning
put the TL:DR first

3 answers to this suggestion

I think that if the player is not piloting the ship, all guns should be automatically operated by their crew. Meaning non-player-run player-owned ships should be fully automated, period. A lot of us run just the one ship all the time and use the strategy screen to operate the fleet. Other ships should basically act as though another player is running them. To an outside observer to a player ship, it would also appear automated.