Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Suggestion: Toggle for single or all available docks to activate

An Ning

Suggestion

If you want to dock a single cargo container and you have multiple docks, you either need an ENORMOUS craft, or you'll have multiple docks trying to grab the same item and tossing it all over the place until it crushes against your hull.

I suggest a toggle that activates only a single dock at a time for grabbing small individual items/craft, and activates all available docks to grab larger craft/stations.

6 answers to this suggestion

I like the idea; I often use copious amounts of 'dock' blocks for decorative purposes, and it doesn't exactly help when you actually want to dock to something :)

How would the game know which docks you want to de-/activate though?

17 hours ago, An Ning said:

Easiest solution in my head is when you hit the toggle for "single dock" you click which one you want to activate.

I think that's the same system we use for undocking individual containers

When undocking, you have to select the container(/ship/entity) you want to release, ie. a different entity.

In this case however, the game needs to know which port you want to activate on the same entity, while you already have a different entity selected as the target you want to dock with.

I don't know whether it's possible to select the individual voxels of your own ship outside of build mode, and even if it were, I don't think that would work too well from a usability standpoint.

You could always just let the ship decide.

The docks already search for what is in range for them. Just have the ship say "okay, these 10 CAN activate, use this 1 for the selected target"

Then that dock becomes the only active dock until the target is switched

Edited by An Ning

At the very least, activating just one single docking port (the closest to the target, probably) certainly seems to be better than what we have now, where all ports constantly try to pull the target towards themselves and fight against each other to the point where a successful capture doesn't happen at all.

• Like 1

That's kinda what I was hoping for, yeah.

Would also make it so that you could make a ship specifically to haul containers and have them be a reasonable size.

Currently docks have to be spaced out by something like 300 meters in order to not fight each other.

Fine for stations, but with container docking being a thing for ships...