Feedback for 2.0 Beta - (Spoilers)

Gameswalker

Here is some feedback on the Beta 2.0 changes. I am up to the barrier and am now acquiring the artifacts required to cross it. This is for a normal game.

Good:

• The radar range upgrades are nice as you can see green (owned) sectors further away
  • The new auto-turret system is much better than the old auto-turret system.
  • The ability to position your camera for your ship is a great change as it allows for more ship designs and flying styles.
  • Fighter cost reduction is nice.
  • Not having to add officers to your crew removes confusion and simplifies ship crews without losing the feel of having crews.
  • The new captain abilities are a nice addition.

Bad:

• The mining returns for the new system need adjustments. Tests in Xanion space show a return of around 40k in an hour (safe) which compared to a return of over 700k on auto-pilot is too low by a large margin. The new system could be great due to ease of use but needs returns (on safe) of at least 75% of auto-pilot. These tests were using R-mining lasers.
  • Jump range reduction seems too harsh. Navigating a long distance is very painful now. Hyperspace blocks have no reason (other than Avorion) as they don't give a jump  range increase based on my ship building tests.

Info/Thoughts

• Fighters design is a bit more bland as all fighter weapons now have a range of 3.5. I preferred having  fighter weapon ranges based on the weapon used to create the fighter.
  • Enemy bounty hunter and pirate attacks on stations seems higher now but only really occurs on starting up the servers. This wouldn't be as big a deal but clearing the enemies away from the stations is painful due to to the short ranged hyperspace jumps.
    • Note that pirates spawning at claimed asteroid stations seems odd regardless. Especially if the Station there is massive and impossible to damage by the pirates (or bounty hunters). 
  • The early game is much slower as the cost to get a captain is much higher than before. This is compounded by the short ranged hyperspace jumps.
  • The ship sizes are a bit too small per tier. Trying to clear pirates for the Trin tech upgrade was too hard in a size 6 ship (I just bought that tech upgrade). I would increase all levels by two.
  • Feedback on what being 'ambushed' means would be nice. I have no idea of I just lose the ship or what.
  • Ambush chance should be adjusted by the power level of your ship. I was looking to move (via new auto-system) a ship in Trin space but it had a high ambush chance even though the ship was clearly more powerful than any NPC ship (and faster).

Bugs

• Sometimes after claiming a mine and then switching over to it causes the ship I was in previously to become an enemy (and it charges and attacks the station even with no attack orders). As you now have an enemy in the sector you can't issue use the build system on your new asteroid mine.
  • Fighter squadrons launched from stations sometimes completely disappear. Those stations can not build fighters in the same fight slot after that.

Edited by Gameswalker

13 hours ago, Gameswalker said:
  • Fighters design is a bit more bland as all fighter weapons now have a range of 3.5. I preferred having  fighter weapon ranges based on the weapon used to create the fighter.

Hi,

take a look at ~/.steam/steamapps/common/Avorion/data/scripts/entity/merchants/fighterfactory.lua (on Linux), lines 730+:

for _, weapon in pairs({turret:getWeapons()}) do
            weapon.damage = weapon.damage * 0.3 / turret.slots
            weapon.fireRate = weapon.fireRate * fireRateFactor
            weapon.reach = math.min(weapon.reach, 350)

fighter:addWeapon(weapon)
        end

Range/Reach is set to 3.5 km, if the turret has less range/reach. A Railgun should still give you the range/reach of the turret.

Damn, it's 3.5 km maximum now. Guess the Devs didn't like PDC-, Rocket- or Railgun-Fighters.

13 hours ago, Gameswalker said:

Bad:

• The mining returns for the new system need adjustments. Tests in Xanion space show a return of around 40k in an hour (safe) which compared to a return of over 700k on auto-pilot is too low by a large margin. The new system could be great due to ease of use but needs returns (on safe) of at least 75% of auto-pilot. These tests were using R-mining lasers.

Yes, R-mining lasers... Why don't you try refining lasers?

Those should achieve more then 1/6 (due to efficancy) of the old results, but you still save the time for refining (landing mining-fighters and refining took minutes in the old system).

Well, choosing between high efficancy and "quick and dirty" might matter even more for salvaging (do you want Resources or do you want Gear?).

Edited by unbekannt1984

The tests included the time to refine the minerals (in auto-mode). It takes more player time but still far exceeded the new system results. When you automate tasks for a player you need to make sure the returns of those tasks are enough for the player to want to use them. Currently they are not.