Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

v0.4

akagetsu

So I'm at work, where I'm on this windows vista machine. I download the game, try to run it and it doesn't work. I go to the cmd and launch it from there. The error seems to be:

C:\Program Files\Avorion>Avorion.lnk

An Exception occured: Vertex shader failed to compile with the following errors:

ERROR: 0:2: '' :  Version number not supported by GL2

ERROR: 0:2: '' : syntax error #version

ERROR: 0:4: 'layout' : syntax error parse error

ERROR: 3 compilation errors.  No code generated.

The specs of the computer are: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.1 GHz; 2046MB RAM; 32-bit Windows Vista; ATI Radeon HD 3850.

• Boxelware Team

This is probably due to a graphics driver issue. Try reinstalling / updating the graphics card drivers. The game needs OpenGL 3.3 to be run.

Edit: I just looked up your graphics card and it *should* not be a problem, your card supports OpenGL 3.3.

Yeah that's what it did for me too. Try to open cmd separately and go to the folder where Avorion is installed and run it manually. Then copy/paste like I did so we can see the error! :)

If you don't know how to do that, contact me or one of the developers and we'll explain to you how to do it!

Yeah that's what it did for me too. Try to open cmd separately and go to the folder where Avorion is installed and run it manually. Then copy/paste like I did so we can see the error! :)

If you don't know how to do that, contact me or one of the developers and we'll explain to you how to do it!

ok i have no clue xD i have cmd open and my appdata/roaming/avorion open in a folder

ok, no...that's not how it works..

open up cmd. the command "cd" is used to go to a folder. Now you have to use that command to get to the folder where Avorion is installed. For example if Avorion is installed in: C:/Program Files/Avorion then after you opened up cmd you should write: cd "Program Files". That should take you there. Then write: cd Avorion. Now thing is, if you start writing: cd Av for example then press the button TAB, it will autocomplete (that should make things easier for you). When you are in the folder just start writing Avor... and hit TAB until it autocompletes to Avorion.Ink and hit enter to start the application.

TL;DR (assuming your game is installed in C:/Program Files/Avorion) :

• open up cmd
  • write cd Prog (then hit tab until you get Program Files) then hit enter
  • write cd Avor (hit tab until you get Avorion) then hit enter
  • now start writing Avor and hit tab till you get Avorion.Ink and hit enter

after that just copy paste what errors you get, here. Use this tutorial if you don't know how to copy/paste from cmd: http://unlockforus.blogspot.ro/2009/06/how-to-copy-paste-text-from-cmd-or.html

• Boxelware Team

For both of you, the clientlog.txt in your %AppData%\Avorion folder would be very interesting. Try starting the game in trace mode, to do so, right click on Avorion.lnk, look for a menu entry saying

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Avorion\bin\Avorion.exe" --serverpath bin\SpaceServer.exe

And then add "-t all" (without quotation marks!) to the end. It should say

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Avorion\bin\Avorion.exe" --serverpath bin\SpaceServer.exe -t all

Then start the game again, make sure it crashes, and send me your client logfile.

Be sure to remove the -t all options if you want to start it normally later, as it will slow down the game very much.

Edit: The client logfile can be found in your %AppData%\Avorion folder. To get there, type %appdata% in your explorer's address bar. Then you will see an Avorion folder.

PS: If anything else fails, try to delete this Avorion folder, this will delete all your settings and galaxies, but it might get the game to work. Please create a backup of this folder first, and tell me if you got the game to work by doing that. The content of the folder would then be very important to fix the bug.

Oh I wouldn't know how buggy it is because I don't want to play it on windows, as weird as that sounds...I'm gonna wait around till you release the Linux version. I already installed a screen-capture program and mentally prepared myself to start writing the Pocket Guide. I really can't wait to get to work! I'm very thrilled! :D

Creating folder: "I:\Users\Aethis\AppData\Roaming\Avorion"

loading xml file: "I:\Users\Aethis\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\settings.xml"

xml file could not be located: "I:\Users\Aethis\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\settings.xml"

Compiling vertex shader :"data\shaders\text.vert"

Reading file content of file: "data\shaders\text.vert"

An Exception occured: basic_string::_S_construct null not valid

• Boxelware Team

You both get the same error?

Which operating system are you on?

Can you both post the entire logfile?

Did you start the game with administrator privileges?

Have you tried deleting the %Appdata%\Avorion folder?

• Boxelware Team

I've uploaded a patcher with new executables that produce more debug output at that place where I think the game crashes. This is not a fix, but a new version that helps me identify the problem. You can find it here:

http://www.avorion.net/demo/Patcherv0.4.zip

All you have to do is extract the files into the folder where you installed Avorion (v0.4!) replacing the files in that folder. Be sure to create a backup of those files first.

Then run the AvorionTrace.bat file and send me your clientlog.txt. The entire file!

• Boxelware Team

Yes, but most of all I would need that logfile.

I've uploaded a patcher with new executables that produce more debug output at that place where I think the game crashes. This is not a fix, but a new version that helps me identify the problem. You can find it here:

http://www.avorion.net/demo/Patcherv0.4.zip

All you have to do is extract the files into the folder where you installed Avorion (v0.4!) replacing the files in that folder. Be sure to create a backup of those files first.

Then run the AvorionTrace.bat file and send me your clientlog.txt. The entire file!

Have you done this?

Basically this is all about questions and answers, you have to provide the most information possible as this is not supposed to happen. The error message is a very generic one, generated by the standard c++ libraries. As I use them all over the program, the bug could have happened anywhere.

So I need you to install v0.4, insert the patched files, and then run the AvorionTrace.bat provided. Then send me the logfile.txt located in your %appdata%\Avorion folder.