Frequently Asked Questions

thedamngod

Welcome to the FAQ thread. Here you should find answers to some of the most common questions.

Please check if there are some questions missing and post them to this thread.

Also check out the wiki. It is still very much in progress but you already find a lot of answers there.

Q: Is there a discord server for Avorion?

Yes! Avorion Community Discord Server: https://discord.gg/Vs3yDG2

Q: The game says that I have a Intel Integrated graphics card, but I also have a dedicated Nvidia/AMD GPU? How do I get the game to run on the dedicated GPU?

NVidia:

[*]Open Nvidia Control Panel

[*]Select Manage 3D-Settings from the list on the left

[*]Select Program Settings

[*]Pick Avorion from the list of programs or select the executable from your steam install directory: <Steam install>/SteamApps/common/Avorion/bin/Aviorion.exe

[*]Select it to always use the dedicated graphics card from the dropdown menu

AMD:

[*]Open Catalyst Control Center

[*]Click “Power” and select “Switchable Graphics.”

[*]Choose Avorion(.exe) from the list or browse to the installation directory of the game and select it there. Then assign the AMD GPU to the game.

You will find Avorion.exe in the installation folder: <steam folder>/SteamApps/common/Avorion/bin/

Q: My game won't start and there are a lot of windows with the title System32 cmd popping up. How do I fix it?

A: It is very likely that your settings file is broken. Delete the client.ini and settings.ini files in your %appdata%\Avorion folder on Windows and ~/.avorion folder on Linux.

My ship won't fly through gates/wormholes any more even though it appears small enough

A: Your ship is very likely too big to fit through the gate with the current checks for the size of the ship.

Q: Server/Multiplayer problems

A: Multiplayer issues are being worked on at the moment. Please make sure to use Steam networking if you do not already do so. Check out the Wiki for instructions on setting up a server with Steam networking.

Also check out the bugs and troubleshooting forums.

Q: I am using a 4k monitor and now my UI off center. Is there a way to fix this?

A: You have probably set your windows UI scaling above 100%. If you reset it to 100% it should work fine.

Alternatively, you might be able to disable DPI scaling in the properties for the Avorion.exe. You can find it at <Steam installation directory>/SteamApps/common/Avorion/bin/

Q: My ship disappeared. How do I get it back?

A: It might be gone for good, but you can try to retrace your steps and visit the sectors you have been to before the ship disappeared. You might find your ship there.

Q: How do I send resources to another player?

A: Use the mail system. You can open your mailbox using the envelope button in the row on the top right.

Then drag the turrets you want to send from your inventory into the boxes on the right and enter the amount of credits/resources you want to send in the appropriate fields.

Q: After rejoining a server I spawned in a ship which was not the one I was in when I left the server

A: The server does not remember the ship you were in when you logged out.

Q: How do research stations work?

A: The research station takes modules or turrets and produces a new turret or module as output.

If you only put turrets/modules of the same type in the five slots at the top, then that give you a turret/module of the same type as output. Mixing different types randomizes the result.

Also the amount of input matters for the output. Input 3 turrets and there is an 60% chance to get a higher rarity one, 80% for 4 turrets as input and 100% if you input 5 turrets.

The properties and stats of the output turrets/modules are most likely completely randomly generated like normal turret drops.

Q: There is a console open. How do I close it?

A: You have openend the developer console and you can close it by pressing the apostrophe key (').

Q: My ship got destroyed during a loading screen. How do I prevent this in the future?

A: You can disable the 'Press spacebar to continue' messages in the options. This will take you directly back to the game, as the game is still running with the loading screen overlay.

One reason for the destruction of your ship might be that the velocity controls are sometimes not reset to 0 correctly. One way to circumvent this problem might be to let go of any buttons, which accelerate your ship in any direction before entering a loading screen.

In the future there will probably be a safety feature to tackle this problem.

Q: Can I change my home sector?

A: Not right now. You might try the script from this thread by Aki.

Q: Can I import ships from other players?

A: To import a ship you have to place the .xml file in the %appdata%/Avorion/ships folder.

Under Linux, it's /home/YOUR_USER_NAME/.avorion/ships/

If you cannot see the .avorion folder (with a dot before the name), be sure you've enabled hidden folders in the settings of your file explorer.

In the build menu you can then import the ship using the 'Saved ships button' in the bottom right corner of the building options menu. The menu is located on the left side of the screen.

TURRETS:

If you want you can check out this

by Kane Hart. He explains a lot about turrets.

Q: How do I set the automatic turrets to fire on their own?

A: There is a small icon on every turret group, which contains automatic turrets, above your health bar at the bottom of the screen. Hold shift to use you mouse and click the groups with an icon. Then you can set your preferred firing mode. The mouse stands for manual control and the reticule for automatic aiming and firing.

After jumping to another sector your settings will be reset, but this is a bug which will be fixed.

Q: I can't get my some of my turrets to fire on their own. How do I enable it for all of them?

A: Only turrets which have the property 'Independent targeting, but deals less damage' are able to fire on their own.

Q: How do I unequip turrets?

A: In the build menu you have to select the turret on your ship using middle mouse button and press the red 'X' on the left side menu or by pressing 'Del' on your keyboard.

Q: I can't equip more than 3 turrets. How do I add more turrets?

A: To add more turrets your ship needs more turret capacity. To achieve that you have to add the turret control system upgrades in the systems tab of the player menu (Shortcut 'P'). You can see the amount of available slots for turrets in the statistics on the right side of the building menu.

If you have added a system upgrade that increases the capacity for 'All' turrets, then the added capacity will be divided to the categories depending on how many turrets you add from each.

BUILDING:

Q: How do I upgrade my ship to better materials?

A: You have to select the block type you want to update other blocks to from the bar at the bottom or the '+'/spacebar menu. Then you have to press the upgrade button on the top right of the building options menu on the left side of the screen. Now you can left-click the blocks which you want to change to the previously selected type.

Q: How can I place engines in other directions?

A: You can only place engines to face backwards. You have to add thrusters to get acceleration/deceleration in other directions.

• 1 year later...
  • Boxelware Team

Q: I can play Multiplayer on other servers fine. But get infinite loading screen when starting a singleplayer/ my own dedicated server.

A: Please make sure you don't have any VPN active, all necessary exceptions for your antivirus (take care Windows has an inbuild antivirus that will automatically activate if you deactivate a third party antivirus) and no other known apps that cause complications active.

If the problem still persists try starting a dedicated server with the additional command line option "--use-steam-networking 0"