Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Option to have Old Fleet Order System for Mining with Captained Ships on 2.0

Nova Strigon

Ladies and gentlemen, I may have found the solution. There is a mod out there made by ItalianMafiaGuy that specifically adds the old option while keeping the new orders. 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2565262170&searchtext=

Go ham out there o7

--------

UPDATE: It doesn't look like the old method would return. According to the devs (which I was lucky enough to be on the AMA train) and their tweets, the old version was a mess of coding and the way they implemented it wasn't what they had in mind for the game. Even though I want to have the old version back in some way, the best way is probably by modding it - not sure if its possible though. If anyone can mod it, please let us know! 😄

--------

Hello! This is *somewhat* of a copy-pasta from my previous post from my suggestions post - which I should have posted here instead in the first place. I feel, however, that most people would really want this feature back as a toggle-able option, so I apologize to the devs for possibly spamming this request. 

As with the previous post, I want to preface this by saying that the devs did an amazing job with 2.0. It has a lot more features, options, and much more to make it so that the player gets to choose how they want to play the game. 

The new fleet orders for mining seems somewhat counterintuitive for some players though (like me). We would really like to have an option where we can choose which method to have in-game (images below). The main reasons why we liked the old system was that we had more control over our fleets, we were more proactive, and were able to see and manage the fleet we built/designed on the map. The system, as of the moment, makes it nearly automatic and invisible - going against what we find fun in the game. The new feature definitely has a purpose though, as a lot of people want to have less stress in controlling their fleets. It also doesn't lag player-operated servers as much either as Trent in the discord server highlighted. In fact, I have no doubt that if the amount of resources players can get out of these automatic expeditions, many people would have no issues with the new system. However, even if these changes were implemented, it would still not allow us to see our fleet and actively manage them, taking a lot of the fun out of the game for us.

But either way, what players find fun is incredibly subjective. Having an option for this would allow us to better pick-and-choose what we find fun. It would better allow us to enjoy a game we all love and care for. 

------------

Old Method - Feature we want brought back some way:

1629846190_OldMethod.thumb.PNG.4e9372d71034f0947b0188dd6cb8cb51.PNG

New Method:

1358466448_NewMethod.thumb.PNG.008351228dbd40f46367ef1af2af2307.PNG

Edited by Nova Strigon

• Nova Strigon changed the title to Option to have Old Fleet Order System for Mining with Captained Ships on 2.0

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it would make a return. I was lucky enough to talk to the devs just now and, according to their tweets, the old system was a garbled mess of code and the way it was implemented wasn't how they envisioned the game. Even though I don't entirely agree with the devs on this one, I do hope the new system would be made better as I personally can't fully enjoy 2.0 unless it makes changes to the new system.

I aggree, the new system is not only way less efficient, it also feels really out of place compared to the old one, for the reasons you mentioned.

I understand that the old system is a mess of code and i cant really comprehend how hard that must be on the devs, but it worked flawlessly for me and i really loved it. So i have to disagree with them if they feel this new system is more like what they envisioned for the game because it ruined our experience with the beta which was very good up until we reached the point where we were able to start our fleet and have them take on this missions.

I hope they find some middle ground  because otherwise this beta has great potential.

I have to agree. The old system felt better from a command point of view. If this is the system the devs want to keep the only thing I would ask is that they make the commands a continuous loop and any payloads are auto accepted. Right now my biggest criticism of the new system is it feels like it is too reliant on micro-management. Having to accept a payload from my miners every 30 minutes or every 15 minutes from my traders just doesn't feel good. It pulls me away from what ever task I'm doing to make decisions that a "Captain" should be able to make on there own. 

I just don't like it. Period. For players that don't play on servers (like me), the main selling point is... pointless. Hah. Anyways, the direct control I had over my ship's operations was a HIGHLIGHT of the entire game. Being able to slap around some pirates and then send in my salvaging ship to that specific sector was incredibly convenient and just really fun.

In my opinion, they should bring back the old system in tandem with the new, because I can for sure see potential with the new one in certain situations; namely, once I reach the point where I have more ships than I know what to do with and it would be a chore to micromanage every ship. I can see exactly what the devs were thinking there, and it's brilliant, just... not to low-level players. 

There's my two cents. 

• Like 2

I am a bit confused. Why is there a mod, which brings back this essential feature, while the developers are not able to implement it in the current state of the game. Maybe it was a coding mess in the state of the game before the beta 2.0, but hell, I think this is a feature the game needs. Being able to mine/salvage/refine this particular sector where you just have been with your attacking fleet is kinda essential and needs to find a place to control it via galaxy map. Of course it would also be nice, to give some orders which will cover a bigger pattern, which is the system beta 2.0 brought.

I don't understand either, why you can tell the captain on your ship to mine in this sector, while you're in the same sector but not via an order given through the galaxy map. Are there this much of differences in the process of implementing the features? I think it would be really gamebreaking, if you had to change the sector, every time your mining ship needs a new order.

Maybe combining the two features by giving the ability to increase/decrease the radius of the order you want to give? So you can give an order with radius 0 (1 System) and the captian will only go mining/salvaging/whatever in this particular system?

• Like 1

I agree having a 'simple' refine / mine / salvage for a ship on the main map would be nice. Even if the new system is workable (i.e. gives good returns) there would be times just having a targeted command would be useful.

Also nice it would be have auto mine / salvage / refine commands end when that resource is consumed. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 6:54 AM, Aggel said:

Maybe combining the two features by giving the ability to increase/decrease the radius of the order you want to give? So you can give an order with radius 0 (1 System) and the captian will only go mining/salvaging/whatever in this particular system?

This sounds like the perfect solution to me.

I haven't observed yet whether the radius increases with a captain's experience, but it would certainly be nice to be able to manually decrease the radius if and when desired.

Same applies to the refine order – currently there doesn't seem to be a way of telling a ship to refine at a specific station, instead they take a seemingly random amount of time and end up at a seemingly random station in some unreasonably large area, when there may be a station just one jump away that shouldn't take more than a minute to reach, and another few for the actual refining...

Edited by Valck