QOL: Shifting ghost block cursor via Keyboard in Voxel-steps

bhaktivedanta

Suggestion

Hello! I am rather new to the game and love the room for creativity it offers. However in build-mode, I feel that the snapping options in some situations are not satisfactory. Sometimes the block will just not go where is should, as the mouse cursor will get closer to some other block and the ghost will snap there.

There are workarounds as restricting view (often the issue is related to the attachment target block being partially covered) or building and later removing auxilliary blocks.

However both workarounds take time and do not always work smoothly.

I suggest to be able to shift the build cursor via keyboard in steps the same size as the grid alignment step. The player would move the ghost via mouse in its approximate position and then be able to shift it via keys as long as the mouse is not moved.

In order to prevent very small accidental mouse movements from interfering with keyboard positioning, one could implement a small mouse-delta constant that determines the minimum amount the mouse must be moved in order to return to mouse-positioning:

After pressing a block-shift-key one would have to move the mouse at least delta counts within one second (or other short cooldown time) in order to be able to position via mouse again. Mouse movements of less than delta par time unit will be ignored. This delta mode would be activated as soon as a positioning key is pressed and deactivated once the mouse has been moved more than delta. Delta and cooldown time sould be sufficiently small to not feel laggy.

The results of this keyboard positioning can easily be defined in the context of voxel-snapping (move to next grid position) or no-snapping (move scale-step units). With middle, global or local snapping it is not absolutely clear, what results the keyboard mode should have. I suggest overriding those snapping modes and default to voxel alignment in those cases, e.g. middle snapping would enable the player to find the middle of an existing block via mouse and then move the ghost from there in grid-step units along the voxel grid.

A potential drawback is that 6 keys would have to be assigned for this feature, corresponding to the 6 principal directions in 3d space. I therefore suggest to assign to numpad keys as default or to not assign by default at all.

1 answer to this suggestion