Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Reduce clearance for docking blocks

FuryoftheStars

Suggestion

In regards to the new docking mechanism, please consider reducing or eliminating the clearance for docking blocks.  The current clearance required is so large that it hampers some designs.  It shouldn't be necessary to force a player to have a large open space for this.  If they want to design a ship with a small docking bay, or even a cavity inside it for some of their smaller ships to dock to for protection during transport, then they really should be able to.

If at some point you all are going to include AI commands for docking, then I can see the AI needing the clear space, but for the purposes of us manually flying our ships in or whatever, we really shouldn't be restricted in this regard.

Edit: So, as there seems to be some confusion elsewhere, I am not talking about the clearance needed for the "docking lane" that you use to interact with a station or that NPCs use to "dock" with a station.  I'm specifically talking about the physical ship-to-ship / ship-to-station / station-to-station docking mechanism introduced in 1.3 where you can then use one ship to drag the other around like in the image below.

20210720212903_1.jpg.2027f93725beec19e2beab4428abb675.jpg

Only, I'd like to be able to do it in a bay of the ship, like here (small ship in the small forward bay of the Star Destroyer):

20210720215338_1.thumb.jpg.50683d10ad83affec5f6c33d6292ec6f.jpg

Without the need to extend the size of the dock outside of the bay:20210720215705_1.thumb.jpg.675ecbdbdf091c2376e8bd8c63add4bd.jpg20210720215713_1.thumb.jpg.88645b291b7f71c78f8d0377ac67a345.jpg

What I'm asking for should not have anything to do with AI pathfinding seems we're having to manually fly and line these objects up in the first place.

Edited by FuryoftheStars

6 answers to this suggestion

The problem is: the clearance is not even the boxes. I tried to build a station with some nice docking ports, but only one of them was recognized. Why? The white box was free of every other block, not even near them. I'm still not exactly sure what blocked it, but spacing my docking ports much more did work.

54 minutes ago, Novastar said:

The problem is: the clearance is not even the boxes. I tried to build a station with some nice docking ports, but only one of them was recognized. Why? The white box was free of every other block, not even near them. I'm still not exactly sure what blocked it, but spacing my docking ports much more did work.

The white box is different from the docking lanes for stations.  That isn’t what this suggestion is about.

Edited by FuryoftheStars