Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Ship and Station Encounter overhaul

- Cy -

Suggestion

Currently as the player travels closer to the core it is most beneficial to build bigger ships both because it can hold more upgrade slots and because npc ships become bigger too. This causes small npc ships to simply vanish on the journey to core which is quite sad. On the other hand the player never gets to see big ships early on either and therefor does not get any reason to build big ships early on usually.

I would like to have this relation changed so that we always see a good mix of both big ships and small ships. No matter how far away we are from the core. However there should always be many small ships among only a few big ships since big ships are expensive in theory so they are harder to come by.

This change would add more diversity to the game and encourage the player to build fleets with a mix of both smaller ships and bigger ships. Also with this change would help with the visualization in a change of sizes.
Stations should also be adressed in this change. Other than giving a station more hp and shields there is in my opinion no reasonable explanation as to why station become bigger when travelling closer to the core.

In order to not make big ships like battleships and dreadnaughts look stupid because they are only armed with chainguns and other short range weaponry in the early stages of the game at least cannons should be enabled as a dropable weapon type for all distances from core.

The common usage of capital ships for siege or reinforcement of bases or given areas while small ships would be the regular ship type to find e.g. in patrols  or for raids from a pirates point of view.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe small ships will require a change to remain usefull next to big ships but as with all the other Ideas this suggestion is less a "copy and paste" suggestion and more a rough direction for a change

I have uploaded a screenshot of personal design that makes a change in size visible from left to right which gets completly lost during gameplay since smaller ships are replaced by bigger ones and npc ships behave the same. Like this it does not really feel like my ships really increase in size

Screenshot (40).png

3 answers to this suggestion

1 hour ago, - Cy - said:

Currently as the player travels closer to the core it is most beneficial to build bigger ships both because it can hold more upgrade slots and because npc ships become bigger too. This causes small npc ships to simply vanish on the journey to core which is quite sad. On the other hand the player never gets to see big ships early on either and therefor does not get any reason to build big ships early on usually.

I would like to have this relation changed so that we always see a good mix of both big ships and small ships. No matter how far away we are from the core. However there should always be many small ships among only a few big ships since big ships are expensive in theory so they are harder to come by.

This change would add more diversity to the game and encourage the player to build fleets with a mix of both smaller ships and bigger ships. Also with this change would help with the visualization in a change of sizes.
Stations should also be adressed in this change. Other than giving a station more hp and shields there is in my opinion no reasonable explanation as to why station become bigger when travelling closer to the core.

In order to not make big ships like battleships and dreadnaughts look stupid because they are only armed with chainguns and other short range weaponry in the early stages of the game at least cannons should be enabled as a dropable weapon type for all distances from core.

The common usage of capital ships for siege or reinforcement of bases or given areas while small ships would be the regular ship type to find e.g. in patrols  or for raids from a pirates point of view.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe small ships will require a change to remain usefull next to big ships but as with all the other Ideas this suggestion is less a "copy and paste" suggestion and more a rough direction for a change

I have uploaded a screenshot of personal design that makes a change in size visible from left to right which gets completly lost during gameplay since smaller ships are replaced by bigger ones and npc ships behave the same. Like this it does not really feel like my ships really increase in size

Screenshot (40).png

you know, it might also be interesting if smaller ships warped out when at a complete disadvantage. Although I'm not overly sure how possible that would be.

I dont want to dictate the details of how to achieve the requested change of this idea. So to me it is generally better in my opinion to leave the devs a lot of room to implement their own vision of this idea incase this idea makes it into the game 😃 

19 minutes ago, - Cy - said:

I dont want to dictate the details of how to achieve the requested change of this idea. So to me it is generally better in my opinion to leave the devs a lot of room to implement their own vision of this idea incase this idea makes it into the game 😃 

yeah that's probably a better idea than mine.