Corvette-class fighters / Resource cargo / Station types / Cargo mass

PetreskoBG

Corvette-class fighters / Resource cargo / Station types / Cargo mass  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Multiple suggestions : vote for the ones you think are valid

• At the moment having 30-40 fighters in a single carrier can bog down performance to a crawl. Trying to use a carrier fleet of 4-5 ships can turn the game into a powerpoint presentation, especially if the fighters have pulse cannons or other weapons with high projectile count. What I propose is a second class of "fighter" that has extra size,durability and firepower stats. Example : At the moment large fighters are size 8. Corvettes would have size 16-24 and they'd require specific dimensions for the hangar block on the ship in order to launch from it. They'd be less maneuverable than fighters but would have extra durability and extra firepower.
    • At the moment resources take 0 space ingame which makes little sense, considering ores need to be placed in a cargo bay. If resources took half or a third of the cargo space ores do, it would incentivize the player to use storage blocks from the start. The drone would be able to store up to 3000 refined resources or some similar value, which would be enough to build the starter ship and store the rest inside it. While this would make the game extra challenging it'd work nicely with the next suggestion.
    • Rename the current station class as "Production facility" or just "Facility" and turn the "Station" class into a build option for the player. So whenever the player hits B he can either build a ship or a station that has no production capabilities and can be used for resource storage and fighter production. The combination of the last two suggestions would make an interesting game mechanic that adds an element to strategy to the game - the player would have to separate chunks of resources onto different units / facilities / stations so that in case of a pirate / faction raid he doesn't lose everything if one resource storage is blown up / boarded and acquired.
    • Each cargo type should have mass, which affects the mobility of a ship - the more cargo you have on board, the less efficient engines / thrusters / inertia dampeners become. This would balance cargo / mining / salvaging vessels and make the player choose between controllable ship handling and 5x +20% cargo upgrade modules.

Suggestion

2 answers to this suggestion

A - I like the idea of this, though I kind of wish this could be actual small ships that we design and outfit ourselves.

B - I think would work best as an optional mode/scenario.

C - I could go either way, I think.  Didn't vote for it, but not essentially against it, either.

D - I like this, too, but I think it might be better if the existing engine upgrades also gave bonuses to maneuverability, or new upgrades were added for that.

Edited by FuryoftheStars

I actually had to search for this thread/poll because I wanted to suggest the same thing as A.  Right now, it makes zero sense to actually spend any time designing the look of your fighters because no matter how much effort you put into their appearance, they are dots on your screen.  (Dots that still apparently render the whole appearance in miniscule because they still bog down the game.)  I'd really like there to be a reason for spending time making my fighters look good.