Deployable mine fields

Suggestion

I saw mine fields on the roadmap and thought that they would be interesting to have in the game not just as passive AoE damaging entities that spawn naturally in some special sectors but also as weapons that players can deploy to defend their sectors or themselves.
Here are two options on how to approach adding mine fields to the game:

Option 1: Minefields can be deployed with a buyable inventory item (this would be a cumbersome way to do it, especially if several must be deployed to get even a decent sized mine field so I dislike this option).

Option 2: Minefields can be deployed with a buyable special torpedo ("mine canister") that is shot out of a torpedo tube and turns into a mine field after flying a short distance (about one kilometre).

In either case, when the mine field is deployed, it spawns mines at the corners of a geometric 3D shape like a dodecahedron. Mines should have a short activation time to make them useless during short-range combat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodecahedron

1 answer to this suggestion

I like option 1, but make it so you can buy in bulk and the player can manufacturer it themselves as well.

As for deployment, maybe set something up in the Strategy mode screen that'll allow you to just click around and the ship will auto-pilot around for deployment.  Or even maybe some kind of setting that'll allow you to auto drop the mines every X meters or something.

Edited by FuryoftheStars