Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Continue the tiered progression unlocks with Ogonoite and Avorion. Addendum: Fix Boarding

Big Sexy Himself

Suggestion

Idea : The progression of technology upgrading when going from one tier of resource to another is one of the most compelling gameplay loops present in Avorion. Going from Iron to Titanium and getting a generator, then to Naonite and getting shielding, then Tritium with the hanger and academy, and Xanion with the Cloning pods. It's a shame that there is no extra technological unlocks when you get to the late game resources, it feels cheap that you just end up with raw number boosts. I think that the late game resources should still unlock new modules that your ship can enhance and toy around with.

Give Ogonite blocks the ability to become Shield Projector blocks that create stronger shields that only work in a certain direction based on the blocks orientation, multiple types of shield blocks, like shield enhancer, reflector, electrifier, etc. making shields have effects beyond just blocking incoming damage

Give
Avorion the ability to become Weapon blocks. Essentially transforming an entire sector of your ship into a singular massive weapon based on three types of avorion weapon blocks;
- Dedicated weapon energy generators
- Weapon ammo containers
- and the Turret barrel block itself.

Give the
Avorion weapon system multiple choices for ammo configuration, things like anti-capital railguns, homing energy torpedoes, massive spooling machine guns, flamethrowers, etc. Give Turrets and weapons unique modifiers and make Turret Factories able to modify a turrets properties up to and beyond the material that's used to create it. Things like elemental effects and damage, corrosion, fire, charge shot, spooling weapon, homing lock-on, slowing, etc.

Also, boarding a ship should never make its omicron decrease, it's such a slap in the players face when you put so much effort in to not put a ship into fatal damage to take it over only for it to become devalued the moment you actually take it over. Like, imagine buying a ferrari and the moment you step into the ferrari it turns into a chevy impala. That's basically what happens when you do ship boarding in Avorion

Edited by Big Sexy Himself

5 answers to this suggestion

I like the general premise of your suggestion for the higher tier blocks also having unlocks.

As for the boarding issue, I think that stems from the fact that certain enemies actually get artificial boosts to their HPs and damage output for the express purpose of being a harder enemy. Once you capture them, they simply revert to default.

You're absolutely right about block types being a powerful motivator for progression in the game. The first time I tried playing Avorion co-op with someone else, they immediately lost interest once we got to Ogonite and realized there was no more building to look forward to. In general I'm a big fan of the game having more block types, and I wouldn't mind if some of the high-tier unlocks were raw numerical buffs or sidegrades for existing functionality.

The thing you mentioned with boarding used to happen.

This was a serious, game-breaking bug, as it allowed players using those ships were able to reach hundred million omicron values on vanilla gameplay.
Where a ship equipped with 80 anti-fighter guns would have several million DPS and could devour every enemy in the game as if it was but a fly.

I'd love to see it come back, but there was a strong reason it was removed. Personally I would rather see difficulty in the form of larger ships of the line with more capable and numerous weapon systems than simply artificially applying a blanket damage boost to the same sized ships you'd fight dependant on region.

15 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Personally I would rather see difficulty in the form of larger ships of the line with more capable and numerous weapon systems than simply artificially applying a blanket damage boost to the same sized ships you'd fight dependant on region.

Should make a suggestion out of that.... 🙂

(And totally agree, by the way.)

Edited by FuryoftheStars

14 minutes ago, FuryoftheStars said:

Should make a suggestion out of that.... 🙂

(And totally agree, by the way.)

It "doest fit the Dev's vision of the game". The best you can hope for is a mod that'll scale ship volume accordingly. Alas "The Convoy" has shown that the procedural designer is incapable of handling ships of any magnitude close to the typical post-barrier player driven vessel. As well as performance issues then arising from the bigger ships, the blocks being destroyed and most importantly (the more weapons they'd require).