Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

External fighter docks

AvorionCraft

Suggestion

2 answers to this suggestion

This would add a measure of complexity to the process, but would be more realistic.

The way I envision it is:

a.) The 'Hangar' block is changed to a 'Hangar Bay Door' block that only lets fighters pass through.

b.) A new docking block called the 'Fighter Docking Port' is added that only docks to fighters

Adding those 2 would be easy; you could even keep the same textures.

If this change were to go through, carriers would have to have either really strong shields or a ton of interior space to be able to (safely) carry a large wing of fighters. Also, it would offer an opportunity for new decoration! Which many in the community would love, and those who don't care wouldn't have to deal with.

Those are all the 'pros'...

The cons (that I can forsee):

a.) A whole new pathfinding system for AI fighters (Since they would not only have to navigate into an enclosed space but also allocate docking ports among themselves) 

b.) The fighter command system being tweaked to allow for safe (and quick) enter and exit for fighters (what happens if they're proceeding out of the hangar in an orderly fashion, and then you suddenly order them to turn back)?

c.) Lag problems from individually modeled fighters 

So, on the whole:

ANY additional complexity in games always results in either player confusion or a proportional amount of bugs. Usually both. I could definitely see them adding this as part of a larger patch, though - maybe even 2.0, and it would be really cool - but for now, the current system works, without (many) problems.

Oops, I misread your post. 

Honestly, I think if any change to the hangar system would be made, it would be as I detailed above. But then again, considering how modular AI ships are, having external fighters ready to launch would be in-theme. And you're right, it probably would cut down a bit on the fighter AI glitches.