Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Privateering - Sponsored piracy against an AI nation

MoreChainguns!

Suggestion

Currently, every faction (in their 'Traits' window) has a different response to piracy of any ship in the galaxy. This can range from really harmful to your reputation (Peaceful/Lawful trait), or not so harmful. But it's never unharmful entirely.

In our history, whenever a war between nations (after the American Revolution, I think) has had a naval aspect, pirates have been able to partake in country-sponsored piracy. This is known as 'privateering' - they obtain a license from one country to legally pirate the others' ships. It's still illegal in the eyes of the one getting pirated, of course, but it's far more above-the-board than standard piracy.

I propose that under the following conditions:

• Two AI factions are at war
  • A player has a reputation of 'Good' or better with one or the other factions

The player can then obtain a 'Privateering License' from the Military Outpost of either of the factions, for around 10,000 - 15,000 credits. I personally would either have it never expire, or function under the system below. Once they have obtained this License, they can engage in sponsored piracy. 

Essentially how I envision privateering would work is that when coming upon any cargo-carrying ships or stations of the faction you and the allied faction are at war with, you can demand their cargo without any reputation loss with any allied AI faction and very minor reputation loss with any other faction. You can then carry this cargo safely through the territory of whichever faction you got the license from, and sell them to any of the same faction's ships or stations.

If implemented, this would be a way for law-abiding players like myself to experience piracy without going rogue.

Somehow, I feel like this would make regular piracy obsolete. 

What do you think?

• Like 3

0 answers to this suggestion

There have been no answers to this suggestion yet