Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Looking for a carrier design

LonelyRaven

Hello everyone,

Been a long time player of abortion but, never made an account on the forum till now. I have reached a block for me and don't know what to do. I can't seem to design a carrier ship the way I would like and can't find one. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

I am looking for a carrier that is under 18k blocks and made for endgame (loads of defences and system for assembling fighters). As for design aspect, don't have one at all for this ship (hence asking for help here).

Even tips and tricks on building one myself would be appreciated as I haven't really built a ship as big as what I am looking for. Reason why I am looking for this is because I am playing with massive endgame content mods where I need massive defences to just survive.

Again, any help is appreciated!

If this thread is in the wrong place, please let me know and I can move it.

Thank you all in advanced!

On 5/13/2021 at 10:31 AM, LonelyRaven said:

abortion

This is why I check my own spelling and don't use an AI 😄

Here are a few broad suggestions:

• A linear design, with a long, spindly armored central body  - sort of an armored spine - that contains crew, energy production / storage, etc. with hangar bays all the way down the sides, and turrets in 2 main batteries on the top of the front and bottom of the front. 2 things I would suggest are a.) a TON of integrity field generators with at least double coverage of the entire 'spine' - because you do not want this thing to snap in two, and b.) an optional Ogonite ram bow that shields the length of the ship from any fire directed at the ship from the direct front and can also be used to smash enemy ships with your bulk in a pinch.
  • A 'flying wing' design, with a thick central body flanked by two 'wings' tapering to points, and an overhang at the back covering the top of the engines and hangar bays. This design could mount a LOT of turrets along its 'wings', with the outer front of the 'wings' and the top covered in a thin layer of Ogonite. This could be slightly less susceptible to breaking in two, but on the other hand, wouldn't be able to have as many hangar bays; it would be more of a mixed-role ship as opposed to a pure carrier. That said, pure carriers are often a bad choice unless they're supported by a battlegroup.
  • Something similar to the Mon Calimari battlecruisers from Star Wars - a sort of tapered cylinder with 'pods' on the sides housing gun batteries and hangar bays, with a sort of big slice carved into the rear for the engines. This would be tricky to pull off, given how voxel-y this game is, but if you were going for a truly big scale, then using a lot of gently sloping wedges you could probably pull off a decent tapered cylinder.

Some building tips (really, for any building game):

Start with a broad idea of what you're going to do, then build a good framework. In Avorion, this usually translates to making a skeleton of a build first, or at least drawing it out, and then making a core of all the mechanical bits (crew, engines, generators, storage, shields, etc.) and only then adding details. Then add turrets and so on. In Avorion, though a good framework is essential, the details are what really make the craft. Those details should be numerous and simple, or at least complex if you can't fit them in. I would suggest looking at blueprints of ships from Halo - they all have really good detailing - and Star Wars ships close-up to get some ideas for greebles. Greebles are literally bits of fake mechanically-looking things that give anything a sense of scale if employed right - that is, with incredible proliferation. If you look at the Imperial Star Destroyers, you'll get an idea of the best places to put greebles. 

One thing that's helped me is to design all my turrets. The default look is fine, but to give any ship a sense of scale, make every turret on it small and minutely detailed. Not only does this give you a whole new thing to expend creativity on, but it doesn't affect your damage output! So why wouldn't you try making a custom turret or two? (Remember to just copy-paste the same design for turrets that are essentially the same).

One final thing: If there's anything more powerful than quality over quantity, it's strength in numbers AND quality. Try to find one design that really takes the cake, and then make a TON of that one ship. Wha-bam! You've got a fleet! (Just remember to have enough resources to create and maintain such a fleet, and a steady source of income that ensures you'll not run out of money to pay your crews).

Hope that helps! Oh, and just remember a few things to look up for inspiration:

Halo, Star Wars, Star Trek, Etc. for ship ideas, turret ideas, and detailing

Real-life naval turrets (both old and new) for custom turret ideas

Given a specific tech level, what is your desired number of slots, the desired HP (both shields and regular HP), and the desired production capacity?   I assume it's a carrier with enough capacity to handle 120 size 8 fighters?  How much maneuverability are you looking for?  Are you going for aesthetics or actual functionality?  Will the carrier will be a pure carrier that will not deliberately engage in direct combat, or is it going to be a mix (a battle-carrier)?

I attached the only pure carrier I've ever made, it has about 2500 blocks.  Maneuverability was sacrificed for more shields and HP. However, it's so ugly I just started calling it the "Pug" class.  I'm also concerned it doesn't have the HP needed to survive in (the newer increased-difficulty) Insane difficulty near the core (it only has 1.4M HP and 2.1M shields).  I suppose if its scale was doubled, however, it might serve.   But I really need to design a new carrier with 5M+ HP and 7M+ shields (and that looks better, but I won't sacrifice utility for looks like many people do).  I don't want there to be a chance of losing one of my carriers, the game is tedious enough already without having to worry about replacing lost ships.

1907234291_Pugcarrier0_xml.png.88ec6ef4c0cc526e428d093c79fe4814.png

Pug carrier0.xml.meta Pug carrier0.xml

This is an example of a super-battlecruiser I made, it has full carrier capability and production because once a ship gets big enough, why not?  Note the large number of hangar blocks which allow much faster launch and recovery of fighters.  Because I made it for direct ship-to-ship combat, it's highly maneuverable.  However, its HP and shields are too low for simultaneously engaging an entire fleet of core+Insane difficulty Xsotan ships; you have to pick them off no more than two or three at a time, IIRC.
SBC1.thumb.jpg.652bc960bd54e1b4c94634f77d652e6f.jpg

Tempest (SBC-1)2.xml.png

Tempest (SBC-1)2.xml Tempest (SBC-1)2.xml.meta

Edited by Speed