Escape pods and life boats

eduty

Suggestion

The current ship destruction and reconstruction option, while convenient, misses an opportunity for more immersive play and additional faction quests.

The proposed would be a significant overhaul to reconstruction tokens and the consequences for losing a ship.

When a player ship is destroyed, a certain amount of its crew, cargo, upgrades, and turrets are spawned as collectible items in a random, empty sector within 2 sectors where the player ship was destroyed. The number of crew and items recovered is determined by the game difficulty. This simulates the crew abandoning ship and escaping in drone sized escape pods. The sector shows up on the player map as a green blip with an exclamation mark that identifies it as a distress signal.

When the player visits the distress sector with their lost crew and items, they will find everything floating in space for collection not far from where they exited hyperspace. The player is incentivized to have ships with spare crew and cargo capacity for these recovery missions.

Additionally, if a flight recorder block was on the ship when it was destroyed, the player can repair the derelict hull as if it were an abandoned wreck. Ships recovered in this way become playable at 10% HP and immediately go through a hyperspace cool down and shield regeneration cycle. All the blocks lost during the event that destroyed the vessel are still missing, but can be restored with a "repair missing blocks only" command in the build menu. The derelict will also be bereft of crew, meaning the player will have to quickly add mechanics or suffer the eventual hull HP depletion from having an insufficient crew.

Alternatively a player can pay a repair dock for a salvage operation. This replaces the current reconstruction token system, and the player pays a fee proportional to the number of crew and items for the operation. The salvage operation takes 1 minute of real time and ends with the previously destroyed ship dropping out of hyperspace in the sector with the hired repair dock. The salvaged ship is fully restored with whatever number of crew and items are recovered at that difficulty level.

Distress signal sectors may now contain similar loot piles in addition to the standard distress signal sector encounters. This simulates the player coming upon and rescuing the life pods of a recently destroyed ship.

Repair docks may also give quests to perform the whole salvage cycle for a faction ship. To complete the mission, the player jumps to a sector to find an abandoned wreck. The mission reward is proportional to how well crewed and armed the ship is by the time the player returns it to the repair dock, with the monetary reward equal to the total cost of the crew, ship, turrets, and upgrades on the recovered wreck when the ship is turned in. The mission will also award a turret or an upgrade of 1 tier rarity greater than what was equipped on the ship when completed. This is a lucrative way to earn credits, while also a new way to potentially exchange an unwanted upgrade or turret for something better.

• Like 3

6 answers to this suggestion

I dont like the random spawn 2 sectors around the death sector because i dont see why ship parts would change sector after death, if you die at the wrong place and youre not able to recover it, too bad for you but in this case it would not replace the token.

It would be better to keep the token but this token gives you this salvage team that take some time to get to your ship and get his wreckage back. After that, you could take your wreck to the nearest repair station.  Would be great to see salvage ships getting back around the wreck of your ship.

And i think turning this into a player quest would see a lot of abuse since its easy to spawn a little ship and get it killed to have a money quest for it.

1 hour ago, FCsoldier said:

I dont like the random spawn 2 sectors around the death sector because i dont see why ship parts would change sector after death, if you die at the wrong place and youre not able to recover it, too bad for you but in this case it would not replace the token.

It would be better to keep the token but this token gives you this salvage team that take some time to get to your ship and get his wreckage back. After that, you could take your wreck to the nearest repair station.  Would be great to see salvage ships getting back around the wreck of your ship.

And i think turning this into a player quest would see a lot of abuse since its easy to spawn a little ship and get it killed to have a money quest for it.

My thoughts exactly, too!