Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

91248 Omicron enemies in Naonite Region!?

I really enjoyed this game for a long time. Two of my builds the "Infernal Charger Frigate" and the "Sector Hold Mobile Station" each received recognition as build of the week. As time went on more of my friends started to play and we formed a server to play on. At the time our best ships could handle anything the Trinium regions could throw at us with ease. We could even take on some foes in Xanion regions. We would dock our fleet and log out in Naonite space since it was relatively safe. We did this because the server was constantly running and we thought it would be best to leave our ships parked some place where the enemy strength was far too weak to endanger our ships while we were away offline. One day I was constructing turrets in this relatively safe region when 3 Head Hunter ships warped into Naonite space and wiped out my best ship in less than 2 seconds with 3 shots. A single Head Hunter ship annihilated my ships and it had an Omicron value of 91248.5 in Naonite space. After having lost everything my friends and I never played Avorion again. That was a little over a year ago.

I often think about replaying Avorion again but I just cannot bring myself to do it knowing that the power balance can be that random... that I could lose an entire fleet and hours of progress within seconds despite playing it that safe. It would be nice if the regions had a built in feature to ensure random generated omicron/weaponry of ships could not manifest within regions that they clearly are too powerful for.

Side Notes/Questions Unrelated:

1) Are Coaxal Guns still exclusive to larger ships? You would think that they would be exclusive to small ships instead. I don't think Star Destroyer sized ships need coaxal guns unless it was for assaulting large stations or bombarding planetary bases from outside of a planet's atmosphere. The Normandy from the Mass Effect Trilogy is a prime example of a ship that should have coaxal guns since it is nimble and evasive enough to engage in combat flight similar to the dog fighting of planes from WWII therefore needing said forward facing guns.

2) What are people's thoughts on hangar ships having base flight speeds that exceed their mother ships? How often do you wipe out a handful of ships only to notice a large subsect of the remaining pirates in the area are a good 3 minute boost away... but a lengthy 10+ minute flight for your fighters to catch up to the fray? I think an advantage the fighters should have over standard builds is top speeds that take ships by storm. Just my thought.

3) What if there were weapons specifically made for destroying/temporarily disabling integrity fields? Sure losing sections of your ship and having to repair that damage can be a pain but on the other hand there is nothing more satisfying in any craft style game than tactically blasting off key components and sections of ships (such as thrusters or guns) or putting visible holes through an enemy haul (Visible path of railgun destruction). Even if it's your own ship with all the damage and holes in it, it's great fun to show your friends in multiplayer your damage and yell, "Dudes! I'm alive. Look at my ship" as half your ship is missing and barely functional.

4) Thoughts on random voice/comm chatter of ships and fighters? During combat epic death cries from pilots or voice lines like "stay in formation" or "I'm hit!" as their tiny ships explode or even captains of ships calling "red alert" or "all hands on deck" and the like? I think it would really add to the feel of the game.

20200202183346_1.jpg

Okay i can provide some insight here as to what appears to have happened. Without knowing what if any mods you were playing with there could be some change to base game mechanics. Base game mechanics are if your relationship to a faction drops to hostile due to attacks, collisions, or salvaging that faction will hire the Head Hunters to destroy you. Last summer when i was fighting a faction in single player the Head Hunters did not spawn in strength according to the region you were in but equal or greater to your ships material. So i was taking over a faction in the titanium region with trinium ships but the Head Hunter ships spawning in had shields and torpedoes. So my guess is that while your ships were parked overnight some faction attacked the faction you were docked at which was hostile towards you (since you don't report having a email from a faction declaring war). Your parked ships with their active point defense weapons started firing at them. This then triggers that faction hiring the Head Hunters to destroy you. 

#1 Coaxial weapons are just limited to region and weapon block size. So your 4 system slot ship can be fully equipped with Coaxial cannons provided you have enough weapon slots and a weapons block large enough for them to fit on.

#2 There is a Steam Workshop mod that doubles the speed fighters can fly but speeds over 900 can cause docking issues causing the fighters to take longer to land. 

#3 With the changes made to shields, armor and integrity field generators this would be a challenge but as it is your ship does already show damage with sections being blown off from either collisions or weapon damage provided the damage dealt is greater than the block health.

#4 It would be nice if your shot down pilot pods had a text box over them saying "requesting rescue". 

Essentially headhunters scale differently than region based enemies... Hmm. It's still rather disturbing considering my main ship was strong enough to solo several Wipe Out Pirate missions within trinium space. My ship, having been made of entirely trinium itself had outgrown the challenge of trinium space. If Headhunters scale in accordance to my ship's material (or maybe hiring faction) it is still baffling that the omicron was roughly 10x higher than my own. I've encountered head hunters with 2x or even 3x omicron to my own ship in regions from time to time but considering that I ran no mods and the server was only 1 difficulty up from normal it came as a shock to witness a 2 second destruction of a ship that otherwise should have been seeking xanion region challenges.

I dunno.

In any game where I die or lose everything because I took a risk/gamble or did something stupid I can live with that. That's on me. Jump a naonite corvette into xannion space and get lit up by 10 ships. My fault. Try to take on swokes with a multipurpose ship lacking decent guns and explode. My fault. Forget to repair inertial dampeners and slam into a friendly station. My fault.

In this case I did everything in my power to not risk jeopardizing that ship and RNG omicron of god levels the likes I've never seen (for that area) came in and wiped me out. It's like a level 100 dragon spawning in a starter zone in a fantasy game and torching all the low level newbs lol. Even if declarations of war happen you'd think the headhunters difficulty would be on par with or noticably higher than the faction that hires them... But that level of power was just insane. If it's normal for headhunters to scale up that high while everything else was pathetic at that point... I dunno. The balance as is just doesn't feel right. I had no time to turn, no time to boost, or target the ship. It was over in 2 seconds. There's challenge and then there's that. I don't think I'll be making a return if headhunters can warp into lower level areas and potentially wipe out your entire fleet and chain of established stations.

I do appreciate the response though Echo. As it stands though I'm not eager to deal with potentially going through that again. Maybe later down the line with more updates and improvements. Great game but it's kind of a deal breaker when you lose weeks of progress in that manner while paying for a server.

Highest difficulty i have played on is Vet (middle of the scale as i recall). and even at 0-0 i haven't seen that level of firepower. The highest i have encountered was 20k in 700 hours in the past year. I have set my ships to attack enemies jumped in a probe and parked it in the middle of a space station. Come back 16 hours later after sleep and work and still had everything, even inside the Ring. Reading back through your two posts i wonder if maybe you didn't encounter a weird bug. Only time i have had fights where i died that fast was attacking Pariah, 8055 or M.A.D where my ship was more sensitive to their weapon damage types. Maybe just test the past years changes in single player for a few days to see if you like it ?

• 1 month later...

90k om is high even for Xanion space, if I remember correctly, and I usually player single player on Insane difficulty.

I know this doesn't help you if you're playing multiplayer, but if you're happy to play single-player then it's relatively easy to save your game, you just make copies of the save file that's in like Local->Roaming->Avorion->Galaxies or something like that.  I usually play Avorion on 6 to 12 month cycles.  Last time I was playing was last summer and I was able to confortably take on an Insane difficulty game.  I can't remember if I died once or twice, but it didn't matter- I had saves 🙂

I don't know if it's been changed yet, but the dumbest thing I've encountered is the MAD Science Lab that has like 3 million firepower.  This is just dumb, because the damage is so high that unless you literally have a stone cube ship, some little bit of lightning is going to get through some tiny gap in your stone and one or two-shot you.  I know because I tried, converting all of my armor into stone on my ship, and still got two-shotted when lightning somehow leaked through the baffles protecting the thrusters. Very, very, very unforgiving to new players.  I just get lazy and take it out by counting the number of energy satellites I've killed.  When I get to the fourth, I take it out from long range with torpedoes (because it jumps in at the location of the fourth satellite you kill) and then just blast the MAD science lab from max range with multiple torpedo salvos.    (Lightning/tesla weapons in space are just dumb anyway, electric arcs are conducted by ionized gas but there is not enough gas to do this in space.)

Edited by Speed