Repair and Resource suggestion

An Ning

Suggestion

For this I'm gonna break it into 4 parts: 1) the problem, 2) Why it occurs, and 3) my proposed solution (the idea), and 4) Why I think the suggestion addresses the problem

1) The problem itself has 3 parts:
a- I still avoid combat in the early game (even with the shield rebalance)
b- I almost never use repair yards
c- I almost never use resource platforms to buy ores

2) Why these occur:
a- You have no shields in the early game and damage takes too long to repair/jumping to a repairyard takes too long early on
b- aside from repairing lost blocks more cheaply there is almost no reason to use a repair yard
c- I have no reason to buy ores that are plentiful in the area

3) The solution:
a- make repairs by the crew faster, but with the caveats of
--1) only repair yards can replace a lost block
--2) crew repairs cannot raise ship hp beyond 80% (full repair can only be done by repair yards)
b- have resource depots sell ores that are beyond the grades found nearby with the caveats of
--1) The amounts are very small
--2) The amounts are overpriced (expected, they are not found here and are only sold in small quantities)
--3) They do not refresh (unless sold more by player, but quantities purchased are also small, so no great profits are to be made -except maybe when the system is at war?)

4) Why I think these solutions work:
-I avoid resource depots because I have no use for them except to smelt items or sell ores. The purchase feature is virtually useless, especially early on.
By enabling the starting area resource depots to sell small amounts of Naonite and Titanium, I am able to build better generators and even small shields (for a very high price, and after jumping between many areas), which grants me incentive to build a combat craft because I will have more energy and be able to take more damage. It even allows me to buy the titanium I may need for a generator in the starting ship, rather than spending my first 2 hours (or more) hunting for titanium in a drone just so I have enough energy to make a hyperjump.

-I avoid combat in the early game because damage takes too long to repair for the crew, and the time it takes to jump to a repair yard and go back is most of, if not more than, the time I'd need to just sit there and wait for the repairs. I avoid the repair yards for much of the same reasons.
By making the crews repair damage faster, I have less time sitting and doing nothing (or running away from combat because of severe damage) and more time I can spend in combat. By limiting the amount the crew can repair, and preventing the crews from repairing blocks lost in combat, I have reason to seek out repair yards if blocks have been lost, or if I am anticipating entering a system with heavy combat.

I mention both of these in a single suggestion because I think they have the best overall result in a tandem suggestion, as opposed to separately:
Your crew repairs your hull faster so you have less downtime between fights, but they only repair to 80% and you need repair yards to replace any lost blocks/completely repair the vessel. You can get shields and Naonite generators early by buying the ores from resource depots, but it requires  jumping around/exploring due to the small amounts sold, a lot of money, and they won't be incredibly strong incredibly fast because you won't find a lot of Naonite at the resource depots.

1 answer to this suggestion

I agree with you but i think the 80% needs to be specified more clearly. 
Imagine jumping into a fight, with clearly more stronger ship then the pirate's, but they still manage to damage you (of course). You get damaged just a little, but that little damage is still enough to annoy you when you look at your health bar and not seeing it on 100%.

Maybe the crew works super fast up to 80%, but then extra slow onwards.

The other propositions i agree with, and the 'crew can't repair broken blocks' should stay in the game.