factions (groups) within factions

max2veg

Suggestion

previous post, see below, plus my response gave me this idea (i mentioned this briefly in that post):

every (at least most, to varying degrees) faction should consist of a good mix of various groups:

* private vessels (miners, luxury liners, ...)
* miners
* traders
* police - they scan for illegal goods, deal with violations, small skirmishes
* military - they have their own sector(s) - they take care of invasions, put into action when a sector becomes tagged as hostile / unsafe (red)
* bandits - they stay away from military sectors and high-industry sectors, can be mostly found in yellow sectors but also commit raids in low-tech sectors
* smugglers / thiefs - their have their own sector (already) and are only found in larger / higher economic factions, they run solo and using stealth to invade any sector

all of them have their own ship sizes, strategy, stats ranges, materials and weapons (weapons based on materials they have access to):

* private vessels - small (common), medium (uncommon), large (rare) size - usually solo but up to 5 ships / group (the larger the group, the rarer); fight in skirmishes but flee red sectors - low dps and less armor, generally flee fairly quickly, fast - usually same mats as region but can have any mat (exponentially rarer and fewer blocks with those mats)
* miners, traders - medium to large to huge (uncommon) - usually solo, but up to 10 ships / group; they flee when attacked - low to medium dps depending on size can have fighters and even more armor, slow - mix of same or +1 higher mat than region
* police - small to medium (have fighters, if mat available) size - groups of 2 usually, but if trouble or higher economy sectors, larger groups; they flee when ~50% hull - medium to high dps, thin armor / weak shield, don't flee easily, fast - same mats as region
* military - mostly medium to large size with fighters (always have fighter bays) - fleets of 10+ ships, depending on faction military strength; they flee if ~10% hull - high dps, thick armor / strong shields, utilizing smaller shield and hull reppers and fighters - up to +3 mats compared to region
* bandits, smugglers - small (smugglers only) to huge (rare, bandits only) size, usually no fighter bays (except huge bandits) - fleets of up to 10 ships for bandits; smugglers run usually solo but up to 3 ships, depending on faction economy - medium to high dps - thick and lots of armor, slow - any mats, but the further away from regional mats, the exponentially rarer and fewer blocks of those mats

this should create some very interesting, unique and realistic scenarios!

Edited by max2veg

1 answer to this suggestion

I love this idea. It is a little annoying when a military cruiser pulls me over for a police action. I want to say that I've seen them do this while I was protecting their sector from Xsotan

"Hey there. I see you have illegal cargo, that'll be 30million, and be quick, there's five Xsotan lighting me up."