Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Any way for Turrets to be placed back onto ship when repairing blocks?

DracoNB

Got back into the game and really enjoying it, been playing at the barrier for a while now waiting for my buddies to get back so we can finish the quest to cross it. But getting annoyed at having small hull pieces get destroyed taking my turrets with them and having to manually place them back on. I love how the reconstruction places everything back properly for my other ships that might die, but its annoying taking slight hull damage but losing some turrets and having to manually place them back on (and having to find the right ones....) and then re-assigning the weapon groups to them.

Am I missing something or is there not a way for when you repair your ship to have it also automatically re-add your turrets? Like how the reconstruction token does.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

That sounds like a nice addition.

I admit, as a player just building their first capital ship (which I'm calling a destroyer because I want my battleships to be huge), I haven't really experienced this much. Maybe that's because the pirates are hilariously bad (their best tech is Integrity Field Generators), and even my small Titanium Region-era corvettes can take groups of 10-12 on solo and still triumph with effectively no shields. And even in those one-vs-the-world battles, I still have yet to lose a single turret.

• 1 month later...

Lot of time has passed since this was asked, but should also throw in, "don't put your turrets on small blocks that are easily destroyed".  😛

I always play on Expert myself, and a rule of thumb I use for myself is that my turrets are always on at least a turret base (2x durability of hull; only thing with more durability is armor) that is as "deep" into my ship as it is long & wide (so it's a perfect cube).  I also recess my turret blocks into the design by an amount needed for the default turret designs to have their bases sit flush with the ship's outer hull/armor (0.1 units per slot of the weapon).  While weapons fire still passes directly through the turret, having the block recessed slightly decreases the chance of an angled shot hitting the block its sitting on while not really affecting the turrets performance (it may decrease it's cone of fire slightly, but the amount is near insignificant.  If anything, custom turret designs that have the turret body closer to the base/hull of the ship will affect this more).

In all the fights I've been in with significant portions of my ship gone and health at almost 0, using this method I'm yet to actually have a turret blown off. 🙂 (Though, I also always coat my ships in armor, so that may have something to do with it as well. 😛)

Edited by FuryoftheStars

• 2 weeks later...

@FuryOfThe Stars, I agree on using recessed blocks, but mine are made of armor (I have not seen the need yet to use turrets with fixed direction). Also, recessing them by 0.2 unit slots seems not to significantly impair firing angles, even for one slot.

Armor and at least integrity fields are a must even in early game. I might build my very first mining ship from iron only, if no titanium can be found nearby. But with one mined titanium asteroid, you can cover a small ship in an integrity field. I usually use the rest of the titanium in a generator,

• 4 weeks later...

When a design is saved it leaves off all turrets. Why so? Sure, if you copy the design for a new ship it won't have access to the same turrets. But that is only a little different from importing a design that uses blocks of a type the player doesn't have yet. The imported design substitutes for unavailable materials, substitutes hull blocks for unavailable block types, and can easily ignore turrets entirely.

Another idea is to introduce dummy turrets that have no firepower but simply sit where the turret would be, and the player can select a turret to automatically be placed exactly there. A dummy could also be left in place when the player removes a turret to put a different turret in its place. This would be great for people who are finicky about turret placement. Not me, uh, just asking for a friend.

At the very least, have a way of marking which turrets were on the ship. As it stands, there are only two ways to mark any inventory item: favorite or trash. When a turret is blown off a ship in combat, or when removed during a redesign in build menu, it could be marked with an identifier for the ship. The mark could be cleared manually in the same way as fav/trash, and a button could remove all marks for the ship in question from turrets in inventory in the same way as the star button marks all installed turrets as favorite.

@ Rabiator

There are two block types. One is just a turret base, the other is the locking turret base. When you get to Naonite and Xanion turrets there is no armor block available, yet turrets must be placed on equal or higher ranked material. Turret base is the strongest block in that case.

• 3 months later...