Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Can we talk about torpedoes?

AvorionCraft

Suggestion

Torpedoes are both a cool thing, and a terrible thing, in present capacity.

Cons:

• Tubes must be loaded manually by type
  • Only ten tubes
  • Tubes have limited capacity
  • Torpedoes must be purchased
    • cannot be blueprinted
    • cannot be built

Pros:

• You can shoot a torpedo!

Torpedoes need to have a renaissance.

• Allow a torpedo *type* to be set to the weapons module
    • EG, I choose to use Anti-Matter, Tandem, Kinetic Torpedoes, they are thus Weapons 3, 4, 5.
      • When I select 3 (AM), All ten tubes are immediately loaded with Antimatter torpedoes, until I select another torpedo type.
      • When I select 4 (Tandem), All ten tubes are loaded with tandem torpedoes
    • This process allows a tactical change in tube management, as kinetic torpedoes do more damage based on their end speed/distance traveled. shooting a kinetic torpedo at 1km is useless. allow that to be swapped. If I am assaulting a pirate base, I want to drop 20 kinetics at distance to soften it up, 
    • This also allows (by my estimate at least) more than only 10 tubes to be used, in theory, 20, 30, 40, 50, tubes, if you have the storage space for it, why not?
  • Allow Torpedoes to be blueprinted
  • Allow Assembly to have more of a purpose than fighter creation--torpedoes are less complicated than a fighter, and a ship with good assembly should be able to create a torpedo at least once a minute x6
  • New class of ship could result from a solid restructure of torpedoes.

I use the hell out of torpedoes versus bosses like AI, but honestly----its a pain to:

• Buy torpedoes
  • Stock torpedoes
  • Set up torpedoes
  • Arrange torpedoes
  • Find the right torpedoes
  • And when you run out, repeat!

Note!: This could be a "Macro/Micro" mode selection, as I can definitely see the need for micromanagement early-mid game. (it makes sense to have torpedo tube one shoot emp, and tubes 2,3,4,5 shoot nuclear/fusion off in a single salvo especially early game) I'm requesting more endgame support for torpedoes.

Alternatively, an option to manually fire a single torpedo tube instead of through the master fire button. Like ALT+1 ALT+2 Etc

Edited by AvorionCraft
  • Like 1

2 answers to this suggestion

I would like to see turrets for torpedoes ... Just as normal turrets do, torpedo turrets would swivel to the target, thus shortening the acquisition arc and travel-distance to target. It may not make any difference to some folks, but in my experience with the current config, if you have forward-oriented tubes, they don't work as well against targets in your wake. One of my ships has a forward array of torpedo launchers, and a couple of stern-chasers. My stern chasers work well if I bother to do the gyrations required to get the target lock behind me, but that effort washes about the same as doing an Immelmann to use the front tubes. Torpedo turrets on the hull-sides could swivel to meet targets fore and aft with no significant loss in travel distance - and no loss in "escape velocity" ...

Edited by Blackhorse_Six_
[clarification]

As an amateur historian in naval warfare, I'm not too bothered about having to go back to Base and/or find an Equipment Dock that sells torpedoes. Gives me an opportunity to see what else I might want in the store, and/or swap-out equipment. At the same time, I think the ability to mark the Galaxy Map with a "torpedo" icon for those locations where torps are sold would be a good QoL addition. After giving it more thought, hence an edit, I suppose that the ability to manufacture torps would be a good thing, but ought to come along at some level after your ability to buy them at the Equipment Dock

Edited by Blackhorse_Six_
[clarification]