Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

A chance for NPCs to attempt fleeing fights

Suggestion

It feels a bit dumb when some enemies just throw themselves to die a certain death by fighting to the bitter end. It would be interesting if NPC ships (especially pirates but never the Xsotans) would have a chance to attempt fleeing and start charging their hyperdrive once their hull drops below a certain percentage, accompanied by the ship shouting something like "I am out of here, this is too much for me!".

6 answers to this suggestion

On 2/16/2021 at 2:13 AM, TenguKnight said:

It feels a bit dumb when some enemies just throw themselves to die a certain death by fighting to the bitter end. It would be interesting if NPC ships (especially pirates but never the Xsotans) would have a chance to attempt fleeing and start charging their hyperdrive once their hull drops below a certain percentage, accompanied by the ship shouting something like "I am out of here, this is too much for me!".

i think the quote needs some work 😜

but otherwise, i agree; in addition, i think the bail-out should be triggered via shield or hull percentage if decreased from full, and:
* a range, randomly set
* set per-faction
* with per-ship randomly set trigger within the faction range, which gives more of a personalization and makes it less predictive

this could create "cowardly" factions / individual ships;
but also the opposite, very "determined" ones a'la "the reavers" from the tv show "firefly" / movie "serenity".

this could (should) be fine-tuned, to create factions inside factions, such as police, military, general private vessels, traders, ... that have their own range - for example, a faction might be quite cowardly, but their military crew won't bail out so easily (but will still flee, because, you know, the faction as a whole are quite a bunch of cowards lol), and similar for the police (of course not as courageous as the military vessels).

this could (should) be fine-tuned, to create factions inside factions, such as police, military, general private vessels, traders

Easily implemented as just a percent change with different modifiers. So say each faction has a base chance to run and each ship has a modifier based on its role. So a military vessel has a lower chance to flee than a civilian loader, etc.

I'd rather they surrender -since NPC ships get boosts to speed and maneuverability well beyond what they should actually possess, and since jumping is instantaneous (my irritation with a lot of those "ship in the sector being attacked" instances: you need 20 seconds to get there, they kill the guy in 18 and jump away instantly after)

I think all related ships stopping and pinging you with a  "we ask to surrender" message -where you are given some money, reputation boost, and a random part in exchange for letting them jump out, or you can choose to eliminate all of them and take a hit to rep instead  (or, if you want to get creative and complex, get offered an option. ex:
"We wish to surrender"
1) Wise decision. You may leave with your lives. (faction rep increase)
2) How much is the chance to leave alive worth to you? (gain money, no impact to rep)
3)  If you want to go, one of you must remain behind (rep decrease, chance of a ship being surrendered. Loop back if fail)
4) You think I will allow you to live? (rep decrease, fighting resumes, reinforcements may be called)

Edited by An Ning

A fifth option could be "I am tired of my pirate leaders, they forcibly recruited me anyways. Can I join you?"

It would be quite rare, and only occur when there's one ship left alive out of a pirate group. Maybe it has a higher chance of happening if it's the last ship left alive out of a pirate Mothership fleet?

To spice things up a bit, each ship might have a different captain stat; 

'Cowardly' - runs away or surrenders, higher chance to join you

'Lazy' - Minimal support, calls in too few reinforcements, just as likely to run as to join you, doesn't fight well

'Loyal' - Basically what we have in-game at the moment, minus the staying 'till the end. This type of captain will try their best, but when things get hopeless, then they will probably run.

'Fanatic' - Will literally fight until their ship is nothing but a crew compartment and a turret.

I like this along with the addendums.  I'd also add that quantity of friend vs foe should also play a factor here.  IE, if they have their enemy outnumbered 10 to 1, then their chance/threshold to flee/surrender/join you/etc should be less.  If they are actually outnumbered, then the chance/threshold of these events should go up.

And I think to fix the idea of the enemy instantly hyperspacing out is to actually add a delay (a la calculating the jump route and manuvering to face the right way).

Though to the idea of the buffs NPC ships get, this is a simple buff applied to the ship to make it "better" for the idea of adding a challenge.  I'd rather they did away with that completely.

Edited by FuryoftheStars

The changes to the hyperspace function in the 2.0 update makes this an even more attractive feature.

Since an enemy ship has to boost for a certain period of time to jump, the player is incentivized to chase and shoot out a starship's engines to keep it from prematurely exiting the battle.

The player is also further encouraged to aim and destroy enemy turret blocks to increase their chances of securing at least some loot before an aggressor limps out of the sector.