Controlling big ships

newyear

So i recently built a a new starship, but i just cannot get any control over it without covering the entire outside of the ship with thrusters, and that would completely ruin the looks. I've tried everything, directional thrusters, normal thrusters, inertial dampeners, a massive gyro, but i barely get any control at all.

Is there any way to mod the thruster output? Is there any trick i'm missing, or is there some fix planned for this? Cause right now i find it impossible to actually build a ship that isn't just coated in thrusters.

Thrusters are now also volume based. You should also use directional thrusters, they really make a difference.

You can just place bigger blocks and cover them for example with armor or other blocks. Just try it: Place a big thruster block and put a layer of other blocks around it. You will see that your stats will decrease slightly from the additional weight of the other blocks, but your stats  won't be reset to 0.

Also, as astroowl said, you should try to place them away from the center of mass. The center of mass is indicated by the cross of the red, green and blue light (small coordinate axis). Although this is a optimization and not a basic requirement for thrusters to work reasonably.

It indeed used to be based on surface area, just like solar panels, resulting in people putting stacks and stacks of minimum-width thruster sheets inside their ships.  That was changed a couple patches ago, thankfully.   UFA777 So you're not wrong, just a little behind the curve.

Thrusters, and all other components, have all always functioned normally no matter if they're covered with other blocks or not (excluding hangar bays, which require at least one face to be unobstructed).

Nice looking Daedalus, by the way.  Hope to see an XML of it when it's done.

• 2 weeks later...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2390026168

I run a very large ship, and have managed to get it to a yaw/pitch of .28 and roll of .39. 8.21MT 3160x469x3687m.

If you look at the picture above, both my phase IV and phase V titans were constructed / are under construction using the same general methodology. A solid core of gyros around the center of mass, directional and thrusters close to the core on the edges of the ship (they work whether they're "inside" or not).