Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Everyone in space wants everyone else dead

diz

The galaxy in Avorion currently seems to be extremely hostile.  Most times I try to go into a quiet astroid field or salvage some wrecks (or just float around a sector for a while), a bunch of pirates or aliens jump in and try to turn me into shrapnel.  And it's not just the aliens and space banditos, every faction seems to be constantly invading their neighbors. The first time I encountered a battle between NPC factions I stopped and watched the show (because the fights do look awesome), but after playing for a while I don't even pay attention to it anymore.  There have been a number of times where a battle was raging between factions, and both pirates and aliens had spawned in and started shooting everyone.

My point is that hostile NPC spawns are, in my opinion, too frequent.  I know pirates, aliens, and even headhunters surprising players can be an interesting and exciting event, but when it's common in faction space and guaranteed in unclaimed space, it's just annoying. I think there needs to be at least a few peaceful spots in the galaxy.

Sectors are only attacked while a player that is actively logged in has a ship in them. If you were the only player on a server, no pirate attacks would happen once you log out, even if it keeps running.

I know they don't invade when nobody's in a sector, my concern is that anytime I am in a sector, it's a safe bet that it will get attacked by factions/aliens/pirates within a few minutes.  I'm not even near the galactic core; the asteroid belts I'm trying to mine are populated mostly with naonite and trinium.  It's my opinion that attacks should be less frequent, at least away from the core, so we can do some peaceful activities if we want to and not have to always fly a combat ship.

A suggestion:

Pirates should have more of a tendency to attack sectors near a sector they own (one with a lone shipyard in it, for instance) or have even a speck of influence over. That way, certain sectors are pirate-free (though Xsotan still have a small chance to spawn) and that leaves free space relatively alone if it's not considered part of a "trade route" or other specified place that civilian spacecraft tend to go to when trying to travel inbetween two sectors. Said routes are probably going to be implemented in a much later patch, I imagine, but hey, this is a short-term solution.

I agree with hostile raids being waaaay too frequent. I have been playing for a solid 10 hours over the past 2 days much to my girlfriends dismay, and to be honest, all I've done is get blown up tryong to find SOMEWHERE i can mine a little bit.

But EVERY SINGLE TIME I warp into a fresh astroid field, what do you know hostiles spawn in mere seconds after and I have to leave.

OR I get into an engagement and spend an hour trying to repair what I lost, find more freaking captains.

Im really enjoying this game but that combined with my allied ships going way too slow, its a chore to get them through warpgates. Its all kind of frustrating right now.

After a good 45 hours now - I'll admit, OP is on point.

I like it, though. For me, it's a way to gain diplomacy with who I want and I love killing :D .. although, the very, very few times I press 'B' to build or want to mess with 1 single asteroid...pirates...or aliens...or some random guard (like in ES: Oblivion) "NOT ON MY WATCH!" guy appears out of thin air.

And when I do run (shh), it's a game of "Okay, which gate can I get to first, before getting my ass blown off or some hyperspace blocker comes in.

If I had to put a percentage on it. It feels like all of this happens, maybe, 8/10 sectors? Maybe tone it down to 6.5/10 or so, imho. Goodluck out there! :P

Almost always, where i go, war goes. And it's not my doing ! It can be pirates, but also factions. If i stay in any sector more than 10-15 minutes, war is coming.

I agree it's way to frequent, and it loses its sense, it's simply becoming a something in the background, i don't even care anymore.

I feel like being the impending doom for any civilisation I choose to live in... Sectors degrade over time because stations get over time whittled away by enemy ships. That´s why I started the habit of choosing one or two "doomed" alliances where I stay longer in sectors, e.g. to build ships, and other alliances, where I hop through as quickly as possible and just do fast trading.

It would be really cool if the stations could repair themselves, and I mean not just docks.

Also, wreckages pile up over time; I guess there is a maximum threshold until they get removed?

I've gotten rich off of these constant battles.  Right now, I'm sitting on well over 1,000,000 credits and tons of iron and titanium (haven't gotten past the titanium areas yet), as well as some exotic and exceptional equipment.  Also, in my home sector, enemy transport ships keep entering the system and get blown up.  I've picked them clean and picked up tons of cargo.  What made me rich is selling the turrets and upgrades that I get from the wreckages.  It was very easy to deck out my ship with good turrets and titanium integrity field and had no problems with pirates.  I can take them out very quickly, pick their wreckages clean and make a handsome profit without even touching any asteroids.  The biggest problem I have is the finicky diplomacy system.  If I'm in a big fire fight with friendly ships, if I accidentally hit one of them, I lose standing with the faction.  What?  Also I was trying to help a faction that I had excellent relations with and at the end of the battle, I went from excellent to abhorrent.  I don't understand why, I didn't target any of their ships, or at least I don't think I did.  That was really messed up.

I noticed the same. I set up home territory, and there is always war going on. Now, thats OK up to a point. But wreckages do pile up, sectors degrade.

Im not sure, does the KI found new stations?

The KI also is somewhat stupid. Hostile freighters enter the sector to do trade, and shoot on the station they want to dock with... not really intelligent.

Repairing / (re)building would be an option. Another thing would be "stable" sectors. Core sectors of a civilisations. Sectors with some station that dont get attacked by pirates and enemys.

I will as well agree that pirate and alien attacks happen too often.  I pretty much gave on mining in this game because I was more or less forced to turn every mining ship into a pirate killer, that is to say a ship with 70% of it's turrets being weapons not mining lasers, just so I can kill the various pirate/aliens fast enough for more not to just pile on before I've finished with the first group.  And in faction sectors there are the faction invasions.  It was pretty common for a faction to invade and before they were even done fighting the pirates would show up then the aliens and by the time I was done killing everything the enemy faction would invade again.  It's not all bad sometimes I'm looking for long epic fight.  But sometimes I just want to buy stuff without getting shot at.

After playing a while, I noticed this too. I thought it was just my home sector. But nearly every sector on the map is extremely hostile. You would think that, eventually, a faction would run out of combat ships and be forced to hold off on their offensives until they can build up their forces again. Not to mention, they should start running out of resources to build new ships and pilots and trained crew to operate them.

Eventually, entire sectors should become ship graveyards littered with wrecks of ships. And, eventually, stations would disappear under the weight of constant attacks. Actually... I have seen some stations nearly destroyed from regular attacks. And what used to be a strong defense force can get whittled down until they hardly put up a fight anymore.

Pirates should have more of a tendency to attack sectors near a sector they own (one with a lone shipyard in it, for instance) or have even a speck of influence over. That way, certain sectors are pirate-free (though Xsotan still have a small chance to spawn) and that leaves free space relatively alone if it's not considered part of a "trade route" or other specified place that civilian spacecraft tend to go to when trying to travel inbetween two sectors...

I agree. Your suggestions would make it more realistic. The way things are, it's pretty nice for players who make a living by salvaging wrecks or who likes to dogfight all the time. But it also makes every part of the galaxy very dangerous, with hardly a room for a breather.

A thought occurred to me while scavenging a battlefield earlier.  Why not have individual server options for pirate attack rate, alien spawn rate, and faction aggression?  Settings like these  may already be part of the Difficulty option (probably only Koonschi knows), but could they be made into their own separate, editable settings in server.ini?

A thought occurred to me while scavenging a battlefield earlier.  Why not have individual server options for pirate attack rate, alien spawn rate, and faction aggression?  Settings like these  may already be part of the Difficulty option (probably only Koonschi knows), but could they be made into their own separate, editable settings in server.ini?

Attacks were extremely freaquent at both the easier and next to highest difficulty levels for me.  It doesn't seem to make difference.

The basically total war between several factions is a glitch, and I've fixed it here. Will roll out with the next patch.

Fanstastic! I love the game but literally just signed up today just to look into this issue, as at times attacks are so frequent in a sector you literally can't kill them faster than they come in, which really hampers your enjoyment at times if you just want to trade, research etc. (especially since far as I can tell anything that isn't flight or combat takes back priority in the netcode? A good choice for latency, but with battles always on you can sometimes be unable to do anything at all in a sector but fly)

Are alien attacks intended to be toned down as well? I'd say they're the worst for over the top frequency so far.

Keep up the good work, best space voxel game currently out there.

I really like this idea. I'm sure that we're not the only players or server admins that would appreciate options to adjust faction aggression and such.

The basically total war between several factions is a glitch, and I've fixed it here. Will roll out with the next patch.

Fantastic!

But, I do hope that diz's suggestion (on editable settings in server.ini) isn't simply overlooked simply because constant faction aggression won't be bugged anymore. Indeed, I would imagine that some players like the constant aggression and the constant supply of new wrecks to salvage it brings and may be a bit sad when the patch comes out. ;)