Jump to content
  • 7
VerticalJelly

All shapes for every block (functional ones too)

Suggestion

4 answers to this suggestion

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Crew Quarters was a massive step in the right direction, life is so much easier now..

I definitely think theres room for things like Cargo Hold Edges or Framework Edges, not 100% sure about techno blocks but I'm fine with them if others are!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 12/5/2020 at 5:29 PM, Akeno017 said:

Crew Quarters was a massive step in the right direction, life is so much easier now..

I definitely think theres room for things like Cargo Hold Edges or Framework Edges, not 100% sure about techno blocks but I'm fine with them if others are!

Same here; especially frameworks would be very welcome in more shapes than just cuboids. The question is, how would they be handled texture wise–stretched, tiled, maybe a custom texture per face? Some mixture of tiling and stretching? Each method has its benefits and drawbacks. Also I think it might be interesting if the framework texture scaled with block size, much like the thruster block's "nozzles" do; although I don't know that I'd like that all the time. Apart from having two variants, scaling and non-scaling, I don't see a simple way to give a choice which behaviour should apply. Also, say you had a thin but wide piece of framework, how to decide which texture scale should get applied? Especially with frameworks, having the same texture in two or even three different sizes on one piece would look odd and mismatched, to say the least.

Cargo holds would be nice to have too, but taking the game mechanics into account, I wonder if they really are worth the effort; using blank hull doesn't stand out too badly in many cases, and from a functional point of view, their comparatively small volumes would probably not result in a lot of usable cargo space most of the time anyway.

Of course I wouldn't be opposed to more shape options for any of the blocks that currently don't have them, why would anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Valck said:

Same here; especially frameworks would be very welcome in more shapes than just cuboids. The question is, how would they be handled texture wise–stretched, tiled, maybe a custom texture per face? Some mixture of tiling and stretching? Each method has its benefits and drawbacks. Also I think it might be interesting if the framework texture scaled with block size

Sorry but I'll have to disagree here, I think there is nothing uglier in the game than the thrusters texture and I'm loath to put any block to that fate.

As for how they would handle the new textures, you can actually see this yourself through a display error. Where changing large amounts of blocks at once will cause various display issues (such as an edge appearing with shield generator or framework textures. Its a little buggy and random but its what initially made me think "why don't we have these".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
11 hours ago, Akeno017 said:

Sorry but I'll have to disagree here, I think there is nothing uglier in the game than the thrusters texture and I'm loath to put any block to that fate.

As for how they would handle the new textures, you can actually see this yourself through a display error. Where changing large amounts of blocks at once will cause various display issues (such as an edge appearing with shield generator or framework textures. Its a little buggy and random but its what initially made me think "why don't we have these".

I fully agree with you on the visual appeal of the thrusters texture; it might benefit from getting a fake depth map, but all in all, it definitely is one of if not the worst block textures. But then I guess it's just immensely difficult to convincingly fake the impression of cavities on a flat surface, without actually paying the price in geometry.

What I was talking about was the methodology though, and only as one option among others; if it wasn't obvious, I don't have the definite answer to that either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...