Your ship is too big!

Lazarus Long

Server Log:  https://pastebin.com/ZxsyGg6c

System Specs:  Ryzen 7 3700X, Nvidia RTX2070, 2x 16GB DDR4-3200 stick of RAM. 

Disk space:  More than I will ever use.

Game set up:  I have two computer systems that are use nearly identical hardware.  One Ryzen 3700X is my desktop and the other is a server.  It doesn't server much, just some basic NAS functionality.  SO I decided to run Avorion on it instead of on my Desktop with an eye on opening up the server to the public if we go into Lockdown 2.0 where I live.  Here is the server.ini that I am using:  https://pastebin.com/9LW6s9DF

I was using one my standard ships for days with no problem.  I had tweaked a little here and there as needed by nothing major.  Yesterday I started to get an error when trying to fly through gates:  "Your ship is too big!" in the chat box.  So I decided to reduce it's size by 50% and try again.  No good.  I build a new ship at a ship yard, and that one worked fine.  I sent my main ship to an equipment down and slowly flew there in my new, much crappier ship.  Once there I switched back to my old ship and removed all installed components, weapons, and moved all crew over to new new.  Then I entered build mode, turned off safe mode, and deleted the ship.  Then I decided I deserved an upgrade to a Xanion ship, so I gave myself a pile of Xanion and proceeded to create a new ship.  I applied my design that I had uploaded to the workshop months ago, reinstalled system upgrades, and transferred my crew back over from the ship that I built at the shipyard.  I then tried to fly through a gate.  I got I loading screen and then to my suprose I ended back up in the sector I had just tried to leave.  I then exited the game, exited the client, and restarted the Avorion server.  After logging back in I again tried to flay through a get and I get the message "Your ship is too big!"

Here are the ships I have experienced this with:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2027978296

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2027978296

Because I can use both of them in single player just fine I must conclude that something is wrong with the server and the save games are being corrupted some how.  Please let know me what else I can do help.

EDIT:  On a whim I decided to save my bugged ship and build it in a single player creative game and it is bugged there too!  I have uploaded it to the Workshop here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2283289603

Let me know if you need anything else.

Edited by Lazarus Long

• 2 weeks later...

I would really like to know what is causing this.  It never used to happen now it happens all the time.  My big ships (anything over 10 slots) that I have saved to the Steam Workshop all have this issue after I build them in a 1.3 version of the game.  If I need to change the designs please tell me what needs to change. 

I have played over 1000 hours of Avorion and this is ruining the game for me. 

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I am back again.  I have spent hours trouble shooting this.  I am not very happy it either.  It has wasted a huge amount of my time when a simple reply with a number could have saved a lot of customers a lot of trouble.  There is a thread in the Steam forums about this and no one has resolved it yet, but I think I am close. 

710 Meters seems to be a "magic number" for gates.  I think, I'll come back to why I am not sure in a bit.  If your ship is wider or taller than that it will eventually not be able to use gates any more.  To trigger this you will need to exit the game, wait a few minutes, then relaunch it and reload your save.  Exiting to the main menu and reloading the save will do no good.  Exiting and immediately relaunching will do no good.   You must wait a few minutes. 

Launch a game in creative mode.  Start with a small cube shaped ship 50m per side.  Attach a long pole to the front so it can poke through the gate as it approaches.  Scale your ship up in 50 meter increments and fly through a gate.  Scale up again, and try again.  Do this over and over.  You will notice that even if your ship is well over 1km per side it can still fly through gates.  Now exit the game and come back to it in a few minutes.  Your ship is now to big to fly through gates.  Start scaling your ship down in 50 meter increments and try to fly through gates.  You will notice that even though your ship is now back to it's original 50m in size it is still to big to fly through gates.  Exit the game and come back after a few minutes.  Your ship can once again fly through gates. 

Now start scaling up in 50m increments again.  Save and exit after every resize.  Relaunch and reload.  Once your ship reaches 750m per side you will no longer be able to fly through gates.  Now scale down in 1 percentage points increments exiting and reloading after each.   When you can fly though gates again make a note of the size of your ship's width as reported by the build menu. 

This is the part makes me unsure of my number.  In the build menu add a 1x1x1 block to the side of your ship and check the width as reported by the build menu.  It will have increased by more than 1 meter.

Case in point.  This ship reports to be 707 meters wide:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2319382767

Attaching a 1x1x1 block to the side of it changes the reported width to 715m and it can still fly through gates.  Scaling the ship up 1 percent point changes the width to 714m to and it can no longer fly through gates.

Edited by Lazarus Long

• 1 month later...