Stacking

Tankium

Suggestion

Stacking is a controversial topic. any players do not want it to be around for balance reasons and others need it for their works to even function. It has been discussed many times and I will need a huge wall of text to properly justify it, even then it will be met with massive backlash.
As some of you might know, im working on a massive ship of indescribable proportions, known as Project Cataclysm, currently it is at 27 000 blocks and as of yet nowhere near done. 6+ km long, hundreds of hours spent already (its not even close to half done), already my most significant build. Even more time spent thinking of lore, the plot is HUGE. After that i plan even bigger ships. The point? it also relies heavily on stacking, as do most of my builds. If stacking is removed i might as well give up. My Halo MAC, my most popular workshop submission, also will not function. I have some strangely shaped ships in mind and because of this building normally is not enough to give it even viable stats. It cant go bigger either, because of the turret proportions (yes this is that important for the ship). I do not want to watch as many hundreds of hours building go to waste. Many other builders think the same.

Stacking allows ships with very overpowered stats. They also come at a massively increased price, disallowing the user to deploy other ships or upgrades. Most of the disadvantages of large ships apply to stacked ships such as crew pay costs. Not like your paying half credits for double performance. The same cost/power ratio. It does reduce the profile of your ship so its harder to hit. As for my builds, i will NOT stack to the point of "15 slot monster in the volume of a ship founding cube". The Cataclysm will remain 6+ km long, and turrets do not benefit the stats of your ship, no matter how stacked.

ik the devs are currently far from a fix, and this is unintended behavior, but it should be here to stay. Not in every server however, to make the PVP community happy, it should be a server.ini setting like customBlocksPerTurret and others. It should default to off to prevent new players doing it as well. (credit to Umbral Reaver for this idea). Those that want it enough to edit the server ini can have it, and those that dont want to PVP with it can join servers with the setting off. Those who want to PVP with stacking allowed can join a server that allows it. Everyone benefits.

Furthermore, its not only used for increasing stats. I have built a hangar which is functional yet contains modelled fighters inside for details otherwise impossible to achieve. Even the hologram block is stacked in the hangar block, as moving the camera around it can cause corners to appear unintentionally. It is also used for blockcount optimization, and building faster and easier, which have both been done in my Halo MAC mentioned earlier. I have another turret (2nd picture) that uses stacking to optimize blockcount. The section the camera is focused on is why the turret is less than 250 blocks. The visual glitching has been fixed by slightly expanding the glow ring.

I am not the only one whos builds would be rendered useless by this.

As many of you would know, i am very active on the Avorion Discord, with a grand total of almost 13 000 messages sent there at the time of writing this. We had some conversations regarding stacking too. Some important community members came such as Arakiss and Shadow Doctor K (SDK). I hope this can prove its an important part of many builders' build styles.
I'd honestly probably stop playing the game if they nerfed the stacking. Mostly because their block balance is off, the game drives players into a single "I have big ship I win" mechanic and most of the game is superficial in regards to economy, trading or anything other then the straight line to the guardian to beat the game.
All of those are my personal opinion by the way.
" - SDK
"Well I can tell you my modding is tied to my willingness to play. Which is also tied to my willingness to use the ships I've created and enjoy flying. It's a slippery slope for me." - also SDK
"building and learning to build is extremely hard for me even simple shaping i cant even do half the time, what little motivation i had has been over the months been ruined by several people on my inability to get better at building, so i started to use a overlap block given to me that is a x8 corner overlap for use in internals, its for a time helped me not worry about the shape of my ships and let me move on but now the devs and admins on this discord are saying overlapping is a cheat or exploit and they might get rid of it some day, will kill 100% of my builds on the workshop, so you see this is why im giving up on building, creative freedom is at stake for me too." - Ren Atlas
"I believe them addressing this now is a mistake on their part. That they are affecting a majority, to satisfy a minority. The PvP community has always been the smallest, but also the loudest." - Scrounger Gaming
"The examples of how it can be used in a non-exploitative way far outweigh the examples of it being used in an exploitative way." - also Scrounger Gaming
"Also stacking just saves so much time instead of wasting my time filling ships with the same internals I’ve done 100 times now" - Arakiss
"The day stacking goes away it will be a sad day" - also Arakiss

I just spent many hours writing this, i should have been studying Chemistry, for a 3 hour exam in 2 days (here in Aus its known as the HSC). There goes todays 'free' time.

I hope, for the love of one of my favorite games i have ever seen, that this will at least go somewhere. Stacking is a vitally important part of many builders' ships.

20201107123919_1.jpg

20200330185347_1.jpg

7 answers to this suggestion

There is not much else to say. Tankium (and the quotes from the other) already mentioned pretty much everything. I do agree that stacking can benefit the look of a build and also the performance (performance FPS wise due to less blocks). I think an .ini setting for it would be great. That way, everybody who is annoyed by stacking can turn it off, but people will still be able to use amazing designs from the workshop as well as making their own.

Edited by Hello There

Stacking for the sake of design/looks is ok (even then, much of that is more overlapping then actual stacking), but I don't like the idea of stacking for stats.  Don't like the stats you get with default?  Ask for them to be changed/balanced or allow them to be modded.  The idea of "stacking should stay because I don't like the stats I get otherwise" is absurd.

And I'm not a PvP'er, by the way.

Thats a fair enough opinion. Stacking is technically cheating

There are many players who like to stack, me included of course, the point of this thread was to point out that we exist
By the way: stacking is being fixed in 2.0 but there is a server.ini setting we can change to allow stacking. Stacking will also be allowed on turrets regardless. And while im sad to see it (sort of) go i believe this is the best solution anyone has come up with so far. If someone comes up with a better solution i would be more than happy to suggest it
So you would keep that enabled but I would turn it off and so would many members of the community

And blocks arent moddable, nor is anything build menu side (from my understanding, im not a modder)
And asking for balance changes wont always get added

Yeah, I'm aware of the upcoming changes.  I also know that blocks aren't moddable, hence I was saying to ask for them to become moddable (I still don't fully understand why they didn't right from the start).

And sorry if I came off a little short in my reply.  I just came over from the Steam forums in a discussion regarding ship speed and maneuverability (making small ships faster and more maneuverable vs large) and one of the posters there (against it) was using the reasoning because it would hurt their stacking or that stacking could still get around it or something.  Seemed like an absurd excuse to use to be against a gameplay/balance change request. 😕

I don't know if this would count as a "good solution" to stacking or not in your eyes, but there is also this other suggestion:

Edited by FuryoftheStars

I support Stacking ...

Didn't know anything about it until recently.

It may be an unintended consequence in the original coding, but the genie is out of the bottle now - let it stand.

Fix it in the Boss/Xsotan/Faction mix.

In April 2021, I asked a Builder to make some structural improvements on my 5-slot standard reconnaissance boat ...

He did some stacking and handed-back a quantum improvement - and now 2.0 will effectively ruin it ... Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Edited by Blackhorse_Six_
clarity, added commentary

Just found out myself... sad to see there was never anything in the official news updates about what is quite a major change.

I recognize that the laws of physics will naturally push us all to "Slab" or "Boom Tube" designs, and it's very disappointing that the designers have not given us any proper way to allow for a wider variety in ship design shape.

With stacking disallowed by default, this only makes a significant existing problem worse (overall ship design being overly restrictive in a creative game) in order to solve what's a minor issue (pvp purism).

EDIT: I realize my complaints above fall on already-deaf ears for the devs, but will we at least be able to add a "contains stacked blocks" flag to workshop design submissions?

Please, at least add this so those of us who wish to play with stacking enabled can freely share our designs without a quagmire.

Edited by FramFramson