Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Pre-Shield Generator Ships

MoreChainguns!

Before you find Naonite, you build your combat ships with very heavy armor. Personally, my Vortex-class destroyers have at least two layers of armor over every single essential component, with double and even quadruple layers of girders over the engines. All the crew compartments are deep within the ship, making a crew knockout very unlikely. 
This means that this basic ship with only iron armor can retain full combat potential even after, in a few cases, fighting and destroying almost ten pirate ships.

How does this compare to your designs?

My ships always get an integrity field generator. That needs a small amount of titanium, but is absolutely worth it. Very early in the game I might make an exception for a iron only mining ship. 

Also, a layer of armor over the entire hull. It may be only 1m of iron armor,  but it makes quite a difference. I defeated Boss Swoks with a ship of moderate size, built only of iron and some titanium. It is late night here, so I won't post the design today. But I might edit this post later with more information.

Since I basically stuck a giant thruster on the end of a big crew quarters block and an even bigger generator block, then wrapped them in a big blanket of iron armor, there isn't much space for extra internal components.

Maybe I can add a few fins to hold some big slabs of integrety field generators...

On 11/10/2020 at 3:52 AM, MoreChainguns! said:

Since I basically stuck a giant thruster on the end of a big crew quarters block and an even bigger generator block, then wrapped them in a big blanket of iron armor, there isn't much space for extra internal components.

Maybe I can add a few fins to hold some big slabs of integrety field generators...

That description sounds like something you could redo with little effort. You get the resources back when you remove blocks, so remove everything except the starting block and reassemble things with an integrity field generator inside.

Also, the integrity field generator protects stuff in a radius around itself. It is best situated at the center of the ship, that covers most parts for a given size of the IFG.

I was making a new Maple-class corvette and found I could cover the entire ship with an IFG, if it was of relatively decent size...

Also I figured out that it's possible to wrap my ships in Titanium if I have enough, which I will start doing posthaste!

Thing is about my Vortex-class destroyer is that it is MASSIVE.

As in, as big as a battleship, but my battleships will be even more gargantuan, so I called it a destroyer.

I spent hours lovingly wrapping it in a iron blanket, which was really tough because there's a lot of weird extrusions on it.

I'd really rather not disassemble it...

I think I'll simply redesign it, honestly.