Ships remember their 'scale' have new blocks automatically scaled to them.

Darinth

Suggestion

The ability to scale a ship up is nice, but also frustratingly problematic. If I scale a ship where I've built all of the blocks using half-block scaling, and then start off by trying to scale it up and pick nearly any value... none of the blocks work anymore. I can go and manually scale my grid and block scaling to match... and then later on forget I adjusted my scale for a scaled up ship.  If the ship remembers that it was scaled to 172%, the game could easily scale all new blocks by 172% as well and automatically match new blocks in the scale that I'm used to working with. This would tremendously simplify trying to scale ships up and down for varied purposes.

3 answers to this suggestion

The more cleanly you scale a ship, the fewer issues you'll have related to this.

Scaling by 50% and 200% (that's 1/2 smaller and 2x larger) is always perfect, and I'm pretty sure 150% (that's 1/2 larger) is always perfect too. Scaling by 75/125/175% (1/4 larger or smaller) will occasionally have issues where the edge of a block is exactly in the middle of two snaps on the grid, so you have to halve your snap grid size to make things fit perfectly. Scaling by 90% or 110% is pretty messy - that's 1/10th larger or smaller. Don't even try to scale by 1/3 or 1/8 because that would need to be 66.6...% (down by 1/3) or 87.5% (down by 1/8) but you can't do decimals.

Basically the farther you get from 1/2 up or down, the messier the scaling.

Scaling by 172% like you did here... that's 18/25 larger.
It doesn't take a mathematician to see that's pretty far from 1/2 😛

lol. I'm aware of the issue of odd scaling. That interesting thing is, it should be fixable. In fact, there's a good chance that fixing it isn't even all that difficult, though I obviously can't know that for certain without having direct access to the code. 🙂