Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

We really need a better repair system

rakenan

Suggestion

So, the repair system has some serious flaws. Most notably that repairing general ship HP damage is somehow conflated with repairing destroyed blocks.

A recent patch seems to have dramatically improved the ability to repair your ship block by block, by highlighting destroyed blocks in red so you can find them, but it's still flawed. There are at least a few ways to fix this.

1. Add a "Rebuild destroyed blocks" option that doesn't try to heal hull damage (which is really expensive and happens automatically if you have enough Mechanics anyway).

2. Include an option in the View menu that lets you only show destroyed blocks so you can find and repair them. The "Highlight Damage" option doesn't appear to do anything, or at least I can never find any of my damaged blocks in the display.

3. Allow modification of damaged ships so you don't have to wait for your ship to be fully healed before doing some minor update like moving turrets or strapping on a cargo hold to the belly so you can carry your loot away.

I can't afford to pay full price to repair my ship every time it gets shot up, but I'd at least like to get it functional by repairing destroyed blocks. The current system just makes it really obnoxious to do that, though.

7 answers to this suggestion

1. You mean placing ship blocks. but on low hp? This is an interesting idea. It should still cost some resources but less than a full repair. And the rest could be finished either with mechanics or AI ships/fighters/friends with repair turrets

3. I kinda disagree with this one. I think the system should allow to change/add turrets and to replace blocks (like an emergency swap from armor to cargo hold), but not to add new blocks.
I feel like, if a ship was in battle, the priority would be to fix weapons and "reroute ship systems" (by replacing blocks with different ones). Adding new blocks would require a functional energy grid and overall stable ship structure.

Edited by Rinart73

3. Is largely exploitive, gives too much power to the player, and would give rise to ridiculous and fantasy-like tactics such as instantly spamming armor blocks to raise HP in combat or suddenly swapping out ineffective guns for better ones to easily crush any enemy (or player) while actively being shot at. How would you feel if a damaged player/NPC's pea shooters magically disappeared mid-fight and turned into giant railguns that kill you in 3 hits? It invalidates the whole point of going in prepared or even thinking in general, because why should I be concerned what's on my ship if I can just miraculously transform it whenever I want to handle any situation? It also breaks mechanics like boarding, because boarding relies on a set ship value that you are now allowed to change for exploitation even though the ship is damaged.

1 hour ago, Avoria said:

and would give rise to ridiculous and fantasy-like tactics such as instantly spamming armor blocks to raise HP in combat or suddenly swapping out ineffective guns for better ones to easily crush any enemy (or player) while actively being shot at

Nonono! We don't want to allow this during the combat! Only after the combat. Although I agree than even then - swapping hull blocks with armor is.. tricky.

Edited by Rinart73

22 hours ago, Rinart73 said:

Nonono! We don't want to allow this during the combat! Only after the combat. Although I agree than even then - swapping hull blocks with armor is.. tricky.

3 was the last in the list because it's the worst. It doesn't solve the problem, just lets you ignore it. A better way to actually find internal destroyed blocks or to repair all destroyed blocks without wasting millions of credits fixing hull damage would be an actual solution. I suppose I could just discard all destroyed blocks then rebuild the ship from a saved template, but that's not a good solution either. I just want to replace my destroyed blocks so the stupid ship damage icon goes away and my ship's innards are inside where they belong.

That said, not sure why swapping hull blocks with armor out of combat is tricky. You can already do that as long as your ship isn't missing any pieces. And if you're out of combat and missing pieces, you can already fix it instantly by spending credits and materials. You just have to spend way more than should be needed because the game forces you to pay for hull damage if you want to do it conveniently.

That's part of the money sink and inconveniences made to make the game harder hence balance options the devs have... There should be a cost to everything! If anything I'd make it so that you literally can not add / repair missing parts in space ... just be docked on a shipyard or repair dock. Or at least make that one of the game settings for expert / insane. The game is easy enough and showers  you with money and resources as is. Also it already costs next to nothing ... One single mining operation in a large asteroid zone with R-type gets you more resources than you're even able to spend on repairs for an entire month.