how to address the interests of conflicting player types

cy414

i didnt put this in ideas as its not a specific item, but a general idea without specifics, about gameplay and satisfying different player groups.

there are at least two distinct player types in avorion.

rpg players who want their feeling of excitment from looting rare/powerful drops and gaining exponential power and those who want a fair balance for multi-player and pvp.

the issue, something that destroys mmorpgs, is that these two things are complete anathema to the other. if you provide the power boons that rpg players thrive, then you destroy the basic functionality for the people that want fair competitive play in multiplayer or simply a more level experience where decisions matter more than gear. an example oof this is MP players that have modded out the inherent buffs on npc ships.

but this can be addressed in this game using mostly already existing foundations.

that being the difficulty options and the existing bonuses to stats some items get. by tying the rate and magnitude these bonuses occur to the difficulty, and then to the material and rarity, the easy difficulty could be setup to feature the largest and most frequent rate these things occur, but be completely disabled on expert and above. with the difficulty option acting as a sort of game mode selection, players would be able to choose how the game will work in a way they will enjoy.

As hyped as I am for pretty fleet engagements and petty wars between players and alliances, the dev's vision of the game is not conducive to that in any major degree. Which is good, as Avorion works as well as it does in part because of its succinct ideal. It isn't sacrificing anything attempting to be something to anyone.

If one were to consider PvP balancing a problem needing to be solved (or if someone wanted to spend the effort of throwing a bone to a very tough crowd) I can think of no more elegant solution than allowing more of the core workings of Avorion to be modified.

I know modifiable blocks have been suggested enough to get pinned on the 'modding ideas' Discord channel. What I don't know is exactly how much effort it would take to happen or if it would be considered a worthwhile use of time.

the devs are literally building an rtsrpg hybrid. unfortuatly, the rpg elements are turning the gameplay into a rightclick simulator.

and same as any mmorpg, by persuing this game design, they are forcing themselves to keep adding  new "end game" bosses for players to first fight then farm and get bored of, due to these bosses being reduced to dps sponges for ever more powerful players.

something i dont want to see happen as it results in players leaving due to boredom of only having to hold a mouse button to win.

most of what im talking about looks like it is already part of the game in different forms. the dps bonuses already exist, and can frequently by bound applied to npc ships, as well as modifiers already applied in the difficulty settings.

i admit, i have no idea what their vision is, and im utterly lost for where you get the idea of a succinct ideal without sacrifices, as the game in its current form has had to compromise on the rare drops and loot based play of rpgs, and had to compromise on game balance to keep non-rpg players engaged.

the npcs should not be a set of ever bigger progress bars you click on to finish. that is not fun for either type of player. non rpg players lose engagement and leave waiting for more engaging environments to play in, rpg players leave waiting for some new BBEG to farm.

and that is something that does not have to happen.