Rework Salvage Licenses / Impact on Relations

Jhingerkid

Salvaging licenses are an inherently broken mechanic when it comes to automated ships. As current production build stands, a ship can be left salvaging on a sector even after the license has expired. In turn, this can then cause relations to absolutely plummet if left for even a few minutes. For instance, I had a trade partner and needed to go do something and I had not paused the game. When I came back, my relations with a faction had gone from almost excellent all the way to almost hostile. All of this had happened because I had one ship left in one of their scrapyards without a license for a few minutes. Really? Their entire faction was going to go to war with a faction that had been trading with them extensively for a long time over a few minutes of unlicensed salvaging? What?

Some things need to be done to alleviate or fix this absolutely horrible pitfall of a mechanic.

1) Players should be able to stack licenses. Let the player buy 12 hours of licenses if they want. This is not the best fix, but probably the easiest band-aid

2) If a player has excellent relations or better with a faction, they may salvage for free or not incur penalties for an extended period for unlicensed salvaging

3) Remove the mechanic entirely. By the time you get to lategame where 10-20 million credits is a drop in the bucket, these 100k taxes are more of an annoyance than an actual mechanic

4) If a license expires, ships in the sector should stop salvaging.

tl;dr Salvage licenses and automated ships are really bad.