Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

no resistance in vacuum

egon

Suggestion

no resistance in vacuum

once you have reached a speed you could cut off the power to the engines and continue at the same speed forever without engines consuming any power

your ship should not slow down on its own

it would continue at the same speed until interacting with something else or you decide to stop, slow down or change direction

4 answers to this suggestion

the inertia/drag is needed to prevent problems like sector objects getting scattered about.

imagine if you accidentally nudge your new gold mine with a big ship, only to find a week or 2 later its 50000km away from the jump point. and npc traders take several hours to get to it. and thats if some bug in the co-ordinates doesnt break the sector.

my idea would be, having it the drag effect scale. 

from say 1% of current in the middle of a sector, to 100% at 100km and becomes a force that pushes things back to the centre some time after that to prevent bugs, could be more interesting.

endless boost?   i didn't write that.. where have you read that?

engines consuming power when accelerating, slowing down or changing direction

no resistance in vacuum!!!!

that's why you have inertial dampeners on ships and stations.......

if you hit a small asteroid with a fast moving big ship

that asteroid should gain velocity equal to the mass and speed of the ship in the opposite direction and should not slow down on its own

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_relativity

which is something that would destroy sectors due to everything flying so far out of the sector it would take increasing amounts of time to get there.

while i agree the drag is annoying, it still needs to be there for basic game function. hence the solution i posted, which would make drag negligible in the middle of a sector, while still serving the needed function of the sector falling apart and ejecting objects.