REVISED - Game becoming unplayable, permanently jammed.

Guest Diggy Dwarf

Guest Diggy Dwarf

NOTE: Please ignore my previous post, I apologise that I didn't go through the "Read This First" admittedly out of pure frustration and I haven't found a way to delete that other post.

Game log from most recent bug:
https://pastebin.com/fmB1VGJU

Computer Specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz 12 Cores
Windows 10 operating system
Nvidea 1060 6gig

I have a recurring issue that is preventing me from enjoying this game that is quite frankly crippling and has almost caused my speakers to burst.
At random intervals, a sequence of events happen in rapid succession, and as this log I've posted shows; even in a starting system on a freshly seeded game while I'm still orbiting the first station your spawn next to, occuring within the first minute of play.

It all starts when I get jammed permanently from no discernible source, my ship's energy consumption increases and doesn't appear to stop for any reason, looking at my ship stats the number continues to rise, even past hundreds of Gigawatts.
The game's sound is amplified many times, sometimes it has elevated to the point where it sounds like a flashbang grenade has gone off in my lounge room, though most of the time the game's volume is changed to a level equivalent to someone shouting in close proximity.

Most of the time, my ship spins violently and is rocketed out of the solar system at a velocity between 300,000m/s to 750,000m/s. Sometimes I'm able to recover by zooming very far out (As the camera is shaking violently and making it nearly impossible to align the ship) and jumping to a neighbouring system, though the sound remains amplified and shortly after I experience an FPS drop to roughly 4 frames per second that is only fixed by closing and relaunching Avorion.

When I attempt to host a server, some of these symptoms are experienced by the other players and the frequency of the event itself is increased from roughly 30min - 1hr to approximately once every 5 minutes.

I am thoroughly enjoying this game but these recurring glitches are breaking any ability to commit to a long term session of play, especially if hunting pirates or fighting a boss when your game decides to try to split your speakers and launch you away from the fight, unable to recover without restarting your game.

Guest Diggy Dwarf

I have found an odd correlation with Windows 10 and Avorion. My computer's clock has a problematic glitch where the time keeps changing randomly and every time it does so it happens to coincide with all of my problems with the game.

It would seem Avorion's operation is VERY dependent on the system clock being of a consistent value.
Still trying to find a solution to this other problem to confirm if that is, indeed the cause of everything, however I am 90% sure this is the case as I've withnessed the clock change and the game malfunctioned at the exact same time.

• Boxelware Team

holy... Wow, I wasn't aware that was even a possibility. Thank you for reporting back!

I was so puzzled and tried to think of any way to resolve this, or at least give you pointers on how to debug this. Now that I took a closer look at your log files it is very obvious that there are multiple massive jumps in the time stamps. And always where Avorion starts to print out error messages for volume and such.

I hope you find a way to resolve the system time issues!

• 2 months later...

You might disable automatic time updates - Windows will ask the internet for the time and then adjust the time to the new time.
In theory it wouldn't change more than a second or two, but either your hardware or the internet could mess that up.

Your PC would slowly be more and more off the real time, but time should go back to consistently increasing...

I'm imagining that events are scheduled in walltime and a sudden jump forward is causing many heavy events to trigger at the same time.

I suggest rate limiting any heavy(or even medium) processing - put it all into a time sorted queue and only do one per second/frame/etc.
Otherwise you'll have unpredictable jitter... and jitter is so much pain.

• 1 year later...

Did we ever find an answer to fix this? For the last two years, I just set up a stop watch, since it happens every hour on the hour, to count down and let me know when it's about to happen so I can log out and not be caught in a fight. 

My computers clock is all messed up. I've got program always running in the background "Network Time" to constantly make sure it's correct. Even tho I have that on, it still glitches me out as described above.