Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

build mode- manually set root block

cy414

Suggestion

18 answers to this suggestion

when building/redesigning a something, the situation occurs where you need to delete a block, but it happens to be the root block of the ship. deleting this block at the moment, deletes the entire ship. and it can be quite surprising which block is the root block.

to workaround this at the moment, we need to; 1)select all blocks, 2)deselect the current root block, 3)save this selection without the current root as a template, 4)apply that template to make the game use a different root block. which can happen multiple times in a row. accidentally deleting and undo-ing a large ship is also a good way provoke the "rebuilding geometry" thing in my experience, meaning the player needs to restart the game.

being able to manually change the root would solve the need for the workaround.

On 9/15/2020 at 5:25 PM, koonschi said:

Can you post a video of this happening? And a build for a ship where this happens? Deleting the root block should assign a new root block.

guessing there is a setting somewhere that was being buggy... i had to reinstall steam after the last windows update broke it, avorion being in main steam library got removed while doing so, and now after reinstalling, its behaving as you describe.

as it was, any ship i had tried to edit, be it 8 blocks in a ring around the root block, or a 20k block workshop ship, was getting deleted when the root block was deleted. if it happens again il upload a video since i know its a bug now. i just assumed it was normal as its the same behaviour i experienced 2 years ago.

On 8/11/2020 at 6:58 AM, koonschi said:

I'm not sure if I can follow, what exactly is the benefit of being able to choose your ship's root block manually?

Seconding giving us this ability, but for a slightly different reason... and this one isn't a bug.

My game does correctly reassign the root block if I delete it, but if I delete the root while modifying a large ship then - especially if the root block was large  - there could easily be over a dozen adjacent blocks that might become the new root block... and often that new root also needs to be deleted at some point.

But obviously I don't want to just leave safe mode off for extended periods of time, so I keep needing to turn off safe mode, delete that one block, turn on safe mode, and resume working on my ship. This repeats until either I get lucky and the root block gets randomly assigned to a block that I don't intend to delete, or I get annoyed enough to try and "steer" the new root block onto the block I want it to be by deleting all the blocks around the current root except for one, delete the root to force that one remaining block to be the new root, then replace all those other blocks I deleted. As you can imagine, this is time consuming and tedious, and I'm usually already annoyed by the time I start doing this.

If I could just set the root block myself, this entire problem magically vanishes.

On 9/25/2020 at 12:13 AM, phezzan said:

How?

It's the little button in the mirrors window. I didn't know about it either until I saw it mentioned in this post... I'm guessing you probably use the hotkey to toggle symmetry like I do instead of clicking through the menus
spacer.png

13 hours ago, Maoman said:

It's the little button in the mirrors window. I didn't know about it either until I saw it mentioned in this post... I'm guessing you probably use the hotkey to toggle symmetry like I do instead of clicking through the menus
spacer.png

At first I used the mouse (now I use the keyboard) - but I never imagined that was a button that set the mirror block. I thought it was just a graphic.

It would be also useful for developing own shipparts. Normally the place you use to planting the shippart at the other rock is the root block, which can be disgusting if you build a shippart, but you want to have a special formation. So you need to redesigne the whole part, instantly of just switchin the rrot block.

Great idea

I think the sheer number of upvotes on this thread is enough to justify it, no need to ask why the community wants it, we have evidence the community does indeed want it.

For me personally, it is what sets the green bounding box around my ship. I usually build from the front so the root block is always at the front, causing the green box to center around one of the front blocks instead of the center of the ship

Which doesnt look great

On 6/5/2021 at 5:39 PM, Tankium said:

I think the sheer number of upvotes on this thread is enough to justify it, no need to ask why the community wants it, we have evidence the community does indeed want it.

For me personally, it is what sets the green bounding box around my ship. I usually build from the front so the root block is always at the front, causing the green box to center around one of the front blocks instead of the center of the ship

Which doesnt look great

This for me is the actual issue.  However, based on some old testing (so it may no longer be the case), the root block is actually unbreakable until the ship dies.  This could, unfortunately, lead to some exploits.  (Not that it couldn't still be done now, but it is a bit more difficult.)

As such, for me, to solve my actual issue, I'd like to see the green targeting reticle actually go to center mass than the root block.  That said, I've only been playing again for a few days (after a year+ break), and I've already noticed the green reticle has moved on gates to center mass instead of what was obviously its root block, so maybe the devs have already fixed this?

On 6/28/2021 at 9:35 AM, FuryoftheStars said:

This for me is the actual issue.  However, based on some old testing (so it may no longer be the case), the root block is actually unbreakable until the ship dies.  This could, unfortunately, lead to some exploits.  (Not that it couldn't still be done now, but it is a bit more difficult.)

As such, for me, to solve my actual issue, I'd like to see the green targeting reticle actually go to center mass than the root block.  That said, I've only been playing again for a few days (after a year+ break), and I've already noticed the green reticle has moved on gates to center mass instead of what was obviously its root block, so maybe the devs have already fixed this?

the center of a gate is a block
its an unobtainable block
didnt realise it was used as the root block though

4 hours ago, Tankium said:

the center of a gate is a block
its an unobtainable block
didnt realise it was used as the root block though

Ah, that may be. Used to be the targeting reticule for them would be at one of the corners, so flying at it from long range would typically put you hitting the edge. 😛