cy414

build mode- manually set root block

Suggestion

as the title. the ability to manually set the root block when building, so it isnt necessary to- select all, deselcet the current root block, copy selection, save selection to folder then paste.

• Like 2

5 answers to this suggestion

I'm not sure if I can follow, what exactly is the benefit of being able to choose your ship's root block manually?

when building/redesigning a something, the situation occurs where you need to delete a block, but it happens to be the root block of the ship. deleting this block at the moment, deletes the entire ship. and it can be quite surprising which block is the root block.

to workaround this at the moment, we need to; 1)select all blocks, 2)deselect the current root block, 3)save this selection without the current root as a template, 4)apply that template to make the game use a different root block. which can happen multiple times in a row. accidentally deleting and undo-ing a large ship is also a good way provoke the "rebuilding geometry" thing in my experience, meaning the player needs to restart the game.

being able to manually change the root would solve the need for the workaround.

Can you post a video of this happening? And a build for a ship where this happens? Deleting the root block should assign a new root block.

The root block determines the X - Y - Z axis.  (or I don't know what does)
If you want mirror functionality to work you need to ensure the 'right' block is the root.

I've deleted entire ships trying to move that root block.