Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Remake the jumping animation

Suggestion

The animation that is shown when jumping to another sector should look similar in style to what it looks like when ships arrive into a sector.
A great visual addition to jumping in would be having the camera follow behind the player ship on the final approach to the sector for a couple of seconds.

3 answers to this suggestion

Agreed 100%. Elite Dangerous's gameplay is WAY more boring imo, but I sure do miss how impressively awesome Frame Shift Drive jumps are (that's their faster-than-light travel, like hyperspace jumps)

If you've never played Elite, here's a 1 minute video showing a normal FSD jump.

A few things worth noting:
- The time spent "inside" the jump masks a loading screen, which is a lot more interesting than, well, the actual loading screen we get in Avorion.
- The navigation equipment (i.e. the compass and speedometer) go absolutely haywire as if you're outside the normal framework of space and time, making concepts like direction and speed meaningless.
- That last 5 second countdown means you can't just sit there dodging enemy fire while your hyperspace route is being calculated, then when it finishes suddenly turn and safely disappear from harm. If enemies are on your tail you gotta figure out a way to get at least those few seconds of not getting instantly blown up in order to escape.
(These next two were added in later updates and aren't shown in this video)
- You still have to manually aim your ship toward the jump vector, but once the 5 second countdown begins the ship computer takes over the controls and perfectly aligns itself with the precise center of the vector, because of course our clumsy monkey hands can't aim a ship accurately enough to hit a target lightyears away.
- In Elite you must also fully throttle up before that countdown can begin (but not the whole time it's charging up) - in Avorion you'd probably accelerate to your ships maximum standard velocity (i.e. without boosting or a velocity bypass module). This means you can't just jump instantly while pointed straight at a station from 0.1km away because you need some room to fly forward first, which I think is a nice touch.

Honestly Avorion's comparatively underwhelming hyperspace jump is really the only thing about the game that still really disappoints me.

Edited by Maoman
typo

Since the game puts you in a loading screen that has a procedurally generated ship in front of some random background, you could possibly replace that screen with an alternate version, showing your ship in some hyperspace tunnel while you're loading in. It's tough cause it's not a first-person game, and definitely a really low priority issue, but it'd be cool to have eventually.

I think just about all the animations/particle effects in the game need to be remade. I don't know how to change them, but I can make much better looking particle graphics. The muzzle flash for things like chain guns is just a single dot. 😒