Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Travel on planet surface

Guest Picture World Animation

Guest Picture World Animation

As part of my YouTube season Avorion, I got the idea that you could travel to planets, with transport shuttles or even entire ships. You could drive on randomly generated planet surfaces with your own tanks, transporters or other ground vehicles. I tried to contact the developers about this (on Twitter), but so far unsuccessfully.
Do you fancy something?

• 2 weeks later...

Just speaking from watching other games add space-to-planet gameplay, this is a HUGE undertaking for both the game technology AND for the content creators within the game.  Think about it -- not only do they have to make an entire planet visually scale as you approach the surface, then you probably want the planets to be "able to be mined" like asteroids, as well as being able to "build" structures on them, so that is even more code to build and test.  Then ground vehicles (wheels & tank treads) are a whole other set of tech to build -- and they are REALLY hard to get right.

And we haven't even talked about gravity yet.  Does this planet have gravity?  How is your ship who can barely rise and fall using directional thrusters going to survive in gravity?  

You really are talking about almost a whole other game at this point.