Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Torps

Guest Tankium

Suggestion

Guest Tankium

a torpedo launcher that fires torpedoes forwards instead of sideways similar to how real life submarines fire torpedos

7 answers to this suggestion

Additionally add icons that indicate the type of path (L shaped or straight) and the firing direction on the weapons key-binding screen of the UI. If a starship has both fore and aft firing launchers, the player has to use trial and error to identify which launcher is which in the UI.

On 6/5/2020 at 8:20 PM, Guest Tankium said:

a torpedo launcher that fires torpedoes forwards instead of sideways similar to how real life submarines fire torpedos

Why not in any direction the player wants? Forward, backward, sideways, down... 

Edit: I mean a fixed direction that can be chosen at build time. For those who also play Crossout, the guided missiles in there have the behavior I'm suggesting.

The current behavior seems to be a bug. "Seems" because I have tried it only once, a few days ago. I'm sure I built the launcher in forwards, but the torpedo came out sideways. Which is not ideal if you want to shoot something close before you.

Edited by Rabiator
Clarification of torp launch direction

On 6/29/2020 at 8:52 AM, Rabiator said:

The current behavior seems to be a bug. "Seems" because I have tried it only once, a few days ago. I'm sure I built the launcher in forwards, but the torpedo came out sideways. Which is not ideal if you want to shoot something close before you.

This confused me at first too, but it actually makes sense once you understand what's supposed to be happening.

I originally expected the torpedo would shoot out the hole in the launcher block like it's the muzzle of a rocket launcher or something, but it's actually more like dumping a payload which turns into a guided missile. Instead of imagining a square hole pointed forward, think of a long and skinny rectangular hole pointed down (because missiles are long and skinny), then the torpedo drops laterally through this hole and, after a second, ignites and flies off on its own.

...Actually here, this only took a few minutes to make and is a lot easier to understand than trying to explain with words.
VtjwxcB.png

Backup image link if it randomly breaks again: https://imgur.com/VtjwxcB

That's why when you're placing a launcher block, it has the big grey output area and then also a long thin arrow that turns 90 degrees. The grey area is the *plop* and the arrow is the direction the torpedo flies away in.

Edited by Maoman
Image link broke for some reason
  • Like 1