Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Server improvements, when?

BloodyIron

Avorion is a fun game, in my opinion, that's a reality.

Back in March, when the game launched 1.0, and the Pandemic stuff started being a thing, I took it upon myself to mobilise myself and my org's staff to whip up an updated Avorion server and promote it to try and build a community, plus maybe help some people keep sanity in this madness. That was March.

I didn't realise that the server software was going to perform as abysmally as it did. We have seen drastic performance issues with only 5-12 people, and that's with absurdly over-provisioned specs. I posted and reported on this matter as early as March 22nd : https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,6443.0.html

Between now and then we've seen a few Beta updates (which we haven't tested, because beta in production is bad practice), and a few aspects of those updates have mentioned server performance. I don't know if those would address the issues we've experienced, but the optimist in me says there's a good chance it would.

Fastforward, it is now May 26th.

Yes, I know, there's a literal global pandemic going on, but I'm not going to wait around forever running my server with the devs not releasing something that is literally crippling my server, and many other servers.

Nobody wants to play on servers with the lag we've experienced, and it most certainly is not anything we're doing wrong, nor how many resources we're allocating.

So when exactly are we going to get any real updates that fix server performance? It's been months, and supposedly code is already written.

I'm a patient person, but at the end of the day, I'm not going to wait around forever. If the devs aren't going to fix the performance issues, I'm eventually going to nuke my server and probably move onto other games.

I want to run a massive server, and with the way the server code works now, that's literally impossible.

This game could be awesome in scale.

So devs, when? I don't think we've seen a single update since release that wasn't beta.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 3:46 AM, BloodyIron said:

Avorion is a fun game, in my opinion, that's a reality.

Back in March, when the game launched 1.0, and the Pandemic stuff started being a thing, I took it upon myself to mobilise myself and my org's staff to whip up an updated Avorion server and promote it to try and build a community, plus maybe help some people keep sanity in this madness. That was March.

I didn't realise that the server software was going to perform as abysmally as it did. We have seen drastic performance issues with only 5-12 people, and that's with absurdly over-provisioned specs. I posted and reported on this matter as early as March 22nd : https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,6443.0.html

Between now and then we've seen a few Beta updates (which we haven't tested, because beta in production is bad practice), and a few aspects of those updates have mentioned server performance. I don't know if those would address the issues we've experienced, but the optimist in me says there's a good chance it would.

Fastforward, it is now May 26th.

Yes, I know, there's a literal global pandemic going on, but I'm not going to wait around forever running my server with the devs not releasing something that is literally crippling my server, and many other servers.

Nobody wants to play on servers with the lag we've experienced, and it most certainly is not anything we're doing wrong, nor how many resources we're allocating.

So when exactly are we going to get any real updates that fix server performance? It's been months, and supposedly code is already written.

I'm a patient person, but at the end of the day, I'm not going to wait around forever. If the devs aren't going to fix the performance issues, I'm eventually going to nuke my server and probably move onto other games.

I want to run a massive server, and with the way the server code works now, that's literally impossible.

This game could be awesome in scale.

So devs, when? I don't think we've seen a single update since release that wasn't beta.

Hey there, 

I completely understand that you and many others are waiting for an update. You won't have to be patient much longer. 🙂 I can also understand that the beta is too "uncertain" for many, but unfortunately we need exactly this data to make improvements. We have a new command ( /profile ) that checks the performance and this is the data we need to analyze the issues. So if it is possible for you, please send us exactly these data so that we can help you in the best possible way. 

If you like, you can write to me directly via discord, for faster communication. @sue #2919